From general State-Space to VARMAX models
Fixed coecients State-Space and VARMAX models are equivalent, meaning that they are able to represent the same linear dynamics, being indistinguishable in terms of overall fit. However, each representation can be specifically adequate for certain uses, so it is relevant to be able to choose between them. To this end, we propose two algorithms to go from general State-Space models to VARMAX forms. The first one computes the coeficients of a standard VARMAX model under some assumptions while the second, which is more general, returns the coeficients of a VARMAX echelon. These procedures supplement the results already available in the literature allowing one to obtain the State-Space model matrices corresponding to any VARMAX. The paper also discusses some applications of these procedures by solving several theoretical and practical problems.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +34 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melard, Guy & Roy, Roch & Saidi, Abdessamad, 2006.
"Exact maximum likelihood estimation of structured or unit root multivariate time series models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 2958-2986, July.
- Guy Melard & Roch Roy & Abdessamad Saidi, 2006. "Exact maximum likelihood estimation of structured or unit root multivariate time series models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13754, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Casals, Jose & Sotoca, Sonia & Jerez, Miguel, 1999. "A fast and stable method to compute the likelihood of time invariant state-space models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 329-337, December.
- Bujosa, Marcos & Garcia-Ferrer, Antonio & Young, Peter C., 2007. "Linear dynamic harmonic regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 999-1024, October.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Poskitt, D S, 1996. "Specification of Echelon-Form VARMA Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(1), pages 69-79, January.
- D.S. Poskitt, "undated". "Specification of echelon form VARMA models," Statistic und Oekonometrie 9305, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Casals J. & Jerez M. & Sotoca S., 2002. "An Exact Multivariate Model-Based Structural Decomposition," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 553-564, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:doicae:1002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.