Estimating the system order by subspace methods
This paper discusses how to specify the order of a state-space model. To do so, we start by revising existing approaches and find in them two basic shortcomings: (i) some of them have a poor performance in short samples and (ii) most of them are not robust, meaning that their performance critically depends on the data generating process. We tackle these two issues by proposing new and refined criteria. Monte Carlo simulations provide evidence of the potential of the proposals. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=120306|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengtsson, Thomas & Cavanaugh, Joseph E., 2006. "An improved Akaike information criterion for state-space model selection," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2635-2654, June.
- Carl Eckart & Gale Young, 1936. "The approximation of one matrix by another of lower rank," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 211-218, September.
- Jesus Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2001.
"Lag Length Estimation in Large Dimensional Systems,"
- Jesus Gonzalo & Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2001. "Lag Length Estimation in Large Dimensional Systems," Econometrics 0108002, EconWPA.
- Casals, Jose & Sotoca, Sonia & Jerez, Miguel, 1999. "A fast and stable method to compute the likelihood of time invariant state-space models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 329-337, December.
- Bauer, Dietmar, 2005. "Estimating Linear Dynamical Systems Using Subspace Methods," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(01), pages 181-211, February.
- Bujosa, Marcos & Garcia-Ferrer, Antonio & Young, Peter C., 2007. "Linear dynamic harmonic regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 999-1024, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:compst:v:27:y:2012:i:3:p:411-425. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.