Exact maximum likelihood estimation of structured or unit root multivariate time series models
The exact likelihood function of a Gaussian vector autoregressive-moving average (VARMA) model is evaluated in two nonstandard cases: (a) a parsimonious structured form, such as obtained in the echelon form structure or the scalar component model (SCM) structure; (b) a partially nonstationary (integrated of order 1) model in error-correction form. The starting point is any algorithm for computing the exact likelihood of a Gaussian VARMA time series. Our algorithm also provides the parameter estimates and their standard errors. The small sample properties of our algorithm were studied by Monte Carlo methods. Examples with real data are provided. © 2005 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nsiri, Saïd & Roy, Roch, 1996. "Identification of Refined ARMA Echelon Form Models for Multivariate Time Series," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 207-231, February.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- D. Poskitt & H. Lütkepohl, 1995. "Consistent Specification of Cointegrated Autoregressive Moving-Average Systems," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,54, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Reinsel, Greg, 1979. "FIML estimation of the dynamic simultaneous equations model with ARMA disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 263-281, February.
- Holger Bartel & Helmut Lutkepohl, 1998. "Estimating the Kronecker indices of cointegrated echelon-form VARMA models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(Conferenc), pages 76-99.
- Bartel, Holger & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 1997. "Estimating the Kronecker indices of cointegrated echelon form VARMA models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,2, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & JOUINI, Tarek, 2005. "Asymptotic Distribution of a Simple Linear Estimator for VARMA Models in Echelon Form," Cahiers de recherche 10-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Tarek Jouini, 2005. "Asymptotic distribution of a simple linear estimator for VARMA models in echelon form," CIRANO Working Papers 2005s-06, CIRANO.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & TAREK, Jouini, 2005. "Asymptotic Distribution of a Simple Linear Estimator for VARMA Models in Echelon Form," Cahiers de recherche 2005-09, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dinh Tuan Pham & Roch Roy & Lyne Cédras, 2003. "Tests for non-correlation of two cointegrated ARMA time series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 553-577, 09.
- Mittnik, Stefan, 1991. "Derivation of the unconditional state-covariance matrix for exact maximum-likelihood estimation of ARMA models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 731-740, October.
- Ansley, Craig F. & Newbold, Paul, 1980. "Finite sample properties of estimators for autoregressive moving average models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 159-183, June.
- Tsay, Ruey S, 1989. "Parsimonious Parameterization of Vector Autoregressive Moving Average Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 327-341, July.
- Solo, Victor, 1984. "The exact likelihood for a multivariate ARMA model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 164-173, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)