Exact maximum likelihood estimation of structured or unit root multivariate time series models
The exact likelihood function of a Gaussian vector autoregressive-moving average (VARMA) model is evaluated in two nonstandard cases: (a) a parsimonious structured form, such as obtained in the echelon form structure or the scalar component model (SCM) structure; (b) a partially nonstationary (integrated of order 1) model in error-correction form. The starting point is any algorithm for computing the exact likelihood of a Gaussian VARMA time series. Our algorithm also provides the parameter estimates and their standard errors. The small sample properties of our algorithm were studied by Monte Carlo methods. Examples with real data are provided. © 2005 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Publication status:||Published in: Computational Statistics & Data Analysis (2006)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP135, 50, avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nsiri, Saïd & Roy, Roch, 1996. "Identification of Refined ARMA Echelon Form Models for Multivariate Time Series," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 207-231, February.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & TAREK, Jouini, 2005.
"Asymptotic Distribution of a Simple Linear Estimator for VARMA Models in Echelon Form,"
Cahiers de recherche
2005-09, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Tarek Jouini, 2005. "Asymptotic distribution of a simple linear estimator for VARMA models in echelon form," CIRANO Working Papers 2005s-06, CIRANO.
- DUFOUR, Jean-Marie & JOUINI, Tarek, 2005. "Asymptotic Distribution of a Simple Linear Estimator for VARMA Models in Echelon Form," Cahiers de recherche 10-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Holger Bartel & Helmut Lutkepohl, 1998.
"Estimating the Kronecker indices of cointegrated echelon-form VARMA models,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(Conferenc), pages 76-99.
- Bartel, Holger & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 1997. "Estimating the Kronecker indices of cointegrated echelon form VARMA models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,2, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- D. Poskitt & H. Lütkepohl, 1995. "Consistent Specification of Cointegrated Autoregressive Moving-Average Systems," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,54, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Reinsel, Greg, 1979. "FIML estimation of the dynamic simultaneous equations model with ARMA disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 263-281, February.
- Dinh Tuan Pham & Roch Roy & Lyne Cédras, 2003. "Tests for non-correlation of two cointegrated ARMA time series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 553-577, September.
- Mittnik, Stefan, 1991. "Derivation of the unconditional state-covariance matrix for exact maximum-likelihood estimation of ARMA models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 731-740, October.
- Ansley, Craig F. & Newbold, Paul, 1980. "Finite sample properties of estimators for autoregressive moving average models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 159-183, June.
- Tsay, Ruey S, 1989. "Parsimonious Parameterization of Vector Autoregressive Moving Average Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 327-341, July.
- Solo, Victor, 1984. "The exact likelihood for a multivariate ARMA model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 164-173, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulb:ulbeco:2013/13754. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.