Time-Varying forward Bias and the Volatility of Risk Premium: a Monetary Explanation
Forward exchange rate unbiassedness is rejected for international exchange markets. This paper proposes a stochastic general equilibrium model which generates substantial variability in the magnitude of predictable excess returns. Simulation exercises suggest that high persistency in the monetary policy produces greater bias in the estimated slope coefficient in the regression of the change in the logarithm of the spot exchange rate on the forward premium. Also, our model suggest that the nature of the transmission between monetary shocks can explain the excess return puzzle. Empirical evidence for the US-UK exchange rate according to our theoretical results is provided.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot and Jeffrey A. Frankel., 1988.
"Forward Discount Bias: Is It an Exchange Risk Premium?,"
Economics Working Papers
8874, University of California at Berkeley.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1989. "Forward Discount Bias: Is It an Exchange Risk Premium?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(1), pages 139-61, February.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 1988. "Forward Discount Bias: Is It an Exchange Risk Premium?," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5w65g4zg, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hodrick, Robert J., 1989.
"Risk, uncertainty, and exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 433-459, May.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J., 1993.
"On biases in the measurement of foreign exchange risk premiums,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 115-138, April.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick, 1991. "On Biases in the Measurement of Foreign Exchange Risk Premiums," NBER Working Papers 3861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John F. O. Bilson, 1980.
"The "Speculative Efficiency" Hypothesis,"
NBER Working Papers
0474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1982. "Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 335-359.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1984. "Forward and spot exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 319-338, November.
- David K. Backus & Allan W. Gregory & Chris I. Telmer, 1992.
"Accounting for Forward Rates in Markets for Foreign Currency,"
92-18b, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Backus, David K & Gregory, Allan W & Telmer, Chris I, 1993. " Accounting for Forward Rates in Markets for Foreign Currency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1887-1908, December.
- David K. Backus & Allan W. Gregory & Chris I. Telmer, 1990. "Accounting for Forward Rates in Markets for Foreign Currency," Working Papers 792, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Tauchen, George, 2001. "The bias of tests for a risk premium in forward exchange rates," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 695-704, December.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim, 2000. "The forward premium anomaly is not as bad as you think," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 471-488, August.
- Zhu, Zhen, 2002. "Time-varying forward bias and the expected excess return," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 119-137, April.
- Dutton, John, 1993. "Real and Monetary Shocks and Risk Premia in Forward Markets for Foreign Exchange," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(4), pages 731-54, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:doicae:0214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.