Are we doing enough to discourage early retirement?
Increasing the effective retirement age contributes to the sustainability of pension systems. However, oftentimes policies aiming at rising employment rates of older workers fall short in delaying retirement. This seems to be the case with retirement age flexibility reforms in Portugal. We analyze the recent Portuguese history of incentives to retire. For 1990-2006 we find that individuals faced very high implicit taxes on working with the result that half the workers had already left the labour force before age 65. We then look at the Social Security reforms in 2007 and find that the incentives to continue working became even smaller than they already were. We conclude that increasing the labour supply of older workers in a system with flexible retirement age needs policies with more aggressive use of penalties and bonuses than what decision makers were willing to accept.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward Whitehouse & Anna D'Addio & Rafal Chomik & Andrew Reilly, 2009. "Two Decades of Pension Reform: What has been Achieved and What Remains to be Done?," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 34(4), pages 515-535, October.
- Robert Fenge & Pierre Pestieau, 2005. "Social Security and Early Retirement," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262062496, July.
- Paula Albuquerque & Manuela Arcanjo & Vítor Escária, 2009. "Early Retirement in Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/39, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Fischer, Justina AV & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2009.
"The Effect of Pension Generosity on Early Retirement: A Microdata Analysis for Europe from 1967 to 2004,"
15940, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Justina A. V. Fischer & Alfonso Sousa-Poza, 2009. "The Effect of Pension Generosity on Early Retirement: A Microdata Analysis for Europe from 1967 to 2004," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 311/2009, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Janice Compton, "undated". "Determinants of Retirement: Does Money Really matter?," Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada 2001-02, Department of Finance Canada.
- Jonathan Gruber & David A. Wise, 1999. "Social Security and Retirement around the World," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number grub99-1, June.
- Jonathan Gruber & David A. Wise, 1999. "Introduction to "Social Security and Retirement around the World"," NBER Chapters,in: Social Security and Retirement around the World, pages 1-35 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:24037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.