Hicksian Visions and Vignettes on (Non-Linear) Trade Cycle Theories
Hicks theorized about the trade cycle, from many perspectives, over the whole span of his long, fertile and distinguished profes- sional life. Beginning with thoughts on an equilibrium approach to the problem of the trade cycle in the early 30s, traversing1 those disequilibrium workhorses of macrodynamics, IS-LM and Multiplier- Accelerator models, he returned, in hunted hare fashion, to a Robert- sonian starting point. In this paper I attempt to construct a math- ematical tapestry of some of these Hicksian visions and vignettes, concentrating on (non-linear) trade cycle theories. I suggest that there are still pearls of analytical wisdom, on the non-linear dynam- ics of trade cycle theory, to be extracted from A Contribution to the Theory of the Trade Cycle (CTTC). The unlikely link between the way an economic conundrum, inherent in CTTC, was resolved and the resolution of (Part B of) Hilbert?s 16th Problem for Liénard?s equation is brie?y mentioned.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unitn.it/deco
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, J. R., 1987. "Capital and Time: A Neo-Austrian Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772866, March.
- Garry J. Schinasi, 1979.
"A nonlinear dynamic model of short run fluctuations,"
Special Studies Papers
135, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schinasi, Garry J, 1981. "A Nonlinear Dynamic Model of Short Run Fluctuations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 649-56, October.
- Robert M. Solow, 1986. "What Is a Nice Girl Like You Doing in a Place Like This? Macroeconomics after Fifty Years," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 191-198, Jul-Sep.
- H. R. Hudson, 1957. "A Model Of The Trade Cycle," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 33(66), pages 378-389, December.
- Hicks, John R, 1974. "Real and Monetary Factors in Economic Fluctuations," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 21(3), pages 205-14, November.
- Torre, V, 1977. "Existence of Limit Cycles and Control in Complete Keynesian System by Theory of Bifurcations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1457-66, September.
- Velupillai, K, 1998. "Richard M. Goodwin 1913-1996," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1436-49, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpde:0407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Andreozzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.