Bank Competition - When is it Good?
The effects of bank competition and institutions on credit markets are usually studied separately although both factors are interdependent. We study the effect of bank competition on the choice of contracts (screening versus collateralized credit contract) and explicitly capture the impact of the institutional environment. Most importantly, we show that the effects of bank competition on collateralization, access to finance, and social welfare depend on the institutional environment. We predict that firms' access to credit increases in bank competition if institutions are weak but bank competition does not matter if they are well-developed.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: http://www.sfbtr15.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bester, Helmut, 1987. "The role of collateral in credit markets with imperfect information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 887-899, June.
- Janet Mitchell & Patrick Van Roy, 2007. "Failure prediction models : performance, disagreements, and internal rating systems," Working Paper Research 123, National Bank of Belgium.
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990.
" Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989. "Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sengupta, Rajdeep, 2007.
"Foreign entry and bank competition,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 502-528, May.
- Besanko, David & Thakor, Anjan V, 1987. "Collateral and Rationing: Sorting Equilibria in Monopolistic and Competitive Credit Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 671-89, October.
- Eicher, Theo & Leukert, Andreas, 2006.
"Institutions and Economic Performance: Endogeneity and Parameter Heterogeneity,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
775, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Theo S. Eicher & Andreas Leukert, 2009. "Institutions and Economic Performance: Endogeneity and Parameter Heterogeneity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 197-219, 02.
- Theo Eicher & Andreas Leukert, 2009. "Institutions and Economic Performance: Endogeneity and Parameter Heterogeneity," Working Papers UWEC-2007-16-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001. "Competition among banks: good or bad?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 38-48.
- Inderst, Roman & Mueller, Holger M, 2006.
"A Lender-Based Theory of Collateral,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5695, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bester, Helmut, 1985. "Screening vs. Rationing in Credit Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 850-55, September.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1999.
"On the role of bank competition for corporate finance and corporate control in transition economies,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19899, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Monika Schnitzer, 1999. "On the Role of Bank Competition for Corporate Finance and Corporate Control in Transition Economies," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 155(1), pages 22-, March.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1999. "On the Role of Bank Competition for Corporate Finance and Corporate Control in Transition Economies," Munich Reprints in Economics 19889, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1998. "On the Role of Bank Competition for Corporate Finance and Corporate Control in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2013, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacobson, Tor & Lindé, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2003.
"Internal Ratings Systems, Implied Credit Risk and the Consistency of Banks’ Risk Classification Policies,"
Working Paper Series
155, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Jacobson, Tor & Linde, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2006. "Internal ratings systems, implied credit risk and the consistency of banks' risk classification policies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1899-1926, July.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Ezra Friedman & Robert Marquez, 1999. "Adverse Selection as a Barrier to Entry in the Banking Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 515-534, Autumn.
- Manove, M. & Padilla, A.J., 1997.
"Banking (Conservatively) with Optimists,"
9718, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Mitchell Berlin & Alexander W. Butler, 2002. "Collateral and competition," Working Papers 02-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Robert Marquez, 2006.
"Lending Booms and Lending Standards,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(5), pages 2511-2546, October.
- Booth, James R. & Booth, Lena Chua, 2006. "Loan Collateral Decisions and Corporate Borrowing Costs," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(1), pages 67-90, February.
- Alexis Direr, 2008. "Multiple Equilibria in Markets with Screening," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(4), pages 791-798, 06.
- Hainz, Christa, 2003. "Bank competition and credit markets in transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 223-245, June.
- Manove, Michael & Padilla, A Jorge & Pagano, Marco, 2001. "Collateral versus Project Screening: A Model of Lazy Banks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 726-44, Winter.
- Broecker, Thorsten, 1990. "Credit-Worthiness Tests and Interbank Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 429-52, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trf:wpaper:244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamilla Benkelberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.