Integrating Industrial Organization and International Business to Explain the Cross-National Domestic Airline Merger Phenomenon
Lecture on the first SFB/TR 15 meeting, Gummersbach, July, 18 - 20, 2004The domestic airline merger phenomenon of the late 1980s and early 1990s sparked a great deal of Industrial Organization literature; yet, that literature neglected non-US merger activity and the potential for international competitive incentives. Using an International Business perspective to complement a primarily Industrial Organization analysis, I argue that factoring international competitive gains helps explain the domestic airline merger phenomenon. A Cournot model of airline competition illustrates the international incentives behind integrating domestic with international routes and behind acquiring domestic competitors. Further, comprehensive panel data tests also support large domestic networks and actual mergers improving the international competitiveness of airlines.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.sfbtr15.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Severin Borenstein, 1992.
"The Evolution of U.S. Airline Competition,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 45-73, Spring.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1980.
"Tariffs and the Extraction of Foreign Monopoly Rents under Potential Entry,"
414, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1981. "Tariffs and the Extraction of Foreign Monopoly Rents under Potential Entry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 14(3), pages 371-89, August.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Spiller, Pablo T., 1991. "Competition and mergers in airline networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 323-342, September.
- Brander, James A. & Zhang, Anming, 1993. "Dynamic oligopoly behaviour in the airline industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 407-435, September.
- Richard E Caves, 1998. "Research on International Business: Problems and Prospects," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 5-19, March.
- Joseph A Clougherty, 2001. "Globalization and the Autonomy of Domestic Competition Policy: An Empirical Test on the World Airline Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 459-478, September.
- Morrison, Steven A & Winston, Clifford, 1987. "Empirical Implications and Tests of the Contestability Hypothesis," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 53-66, April.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Spiller, Pablo T, 1994. "Economies of Traffic Density in the Deregulated Airline Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 379-415, October.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Cason, T.N., 1992.
"The Strategic Value of Asymmetric Information Access for Cournot Competitors,"
9304, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Cason, Timothy N., 1994. "The strategic value of asymmetric information access for cournot competitors," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 3-24, March.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-72, May.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Michael W. Tretheway, 1984. "Economies of Density versus Economies of Scale: Why Trunk and Local Service Airline Costs Differ," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 471-489, Winter.
- James A. Brander & Anming Zhang, 1990. "Market Conduct in the Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(4), pages 567-583, Winter.
- Clougherty, Joseph A., 2002. "US domestic airline mergers: the neglected international determinants," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 557-576, April.
- Kim, E Han & Singal, Vijay, 1993. "Mergers and Market Power: Evidence from the Airline Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 549-69, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trf:wpaper:19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Frank)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.