Demand Uncertainty and Airline Network Morphology with Strategic Interactions
In this paper, we examine how strategic interactions affect airline network. We develop a three stage duopoly game: at stage 1 airlines determines their network structure (linear versus hub-and-spoke). At stage 2 they decide on their capacities, and at stage 3 firms compete in quantities. The main feature of the model is that firms have to decide on network structure and capacities while facing demand uncertainty. We show that while hubbing is efficient, airlines may choose a linear network for strategic reasons. Furthermore, we show that this structure softens competition by preventing contagion of competition across markets.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Sève, Québec, Québec, G1K 7P4|
Phone: (418) 656-5122
Fax: (418) 656-2707
Web page: http://www.ecn.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ken Hendricks & Michele Piccione & Guofu Tan, 1995. "The Economics of Hubs: The Case of Monopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 83-99.
- Encaoua, David & Moreaux, Michel & Perrot, Anne, 1996.
"Compatibility and competition in airlines demand side network effects,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 701-726, October.
- Encacoua, D. & Moreaux, M. & Perrot, A., 1995. "Compatibility and Competition in Airlines: Demand Side Network Effect," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 95.21, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Jan K. Brueckner & Nichola J. Dyer & Pablo T. Spiller, 1992. "Fare Determination in Airline Hub-and-Spoke Networks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(3), pages 309-333, Autumn.
- Ken Hendricks & Michele Piccione & Guofu Tan, 1997. "Entry and Exit in Hub-Spoke Networks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(2), pages 291-303, Summer.
- Robert W. Staiger & Frank A. Wolak, 1992. "Collusive Pricing with Capacity Constraints in the Presence of Demand Uncertainty," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(2), pages 203-220, Summer.
- Barla, P. & Constantatos, C., 1999. "The Role of Demand Uncertainty in Airline Network Structure," Papers 99-04, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- Barla, Philippe & Constantatos, Christos, 1999. "The Role of Demand Uncertainty in Airline Network Structure," Cahiers de recherche 9903, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Spiller, Pablo T., 1991. "Competition and mergers in airline networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 323-342, September.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Michael W. Tretheway, 1984. "Economies of Density versus Economies of Scale: Why Trunk and Local Service Airline Costs Differ," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 471-489, Winter.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-857, November.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:laeccr:9907. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.