On the "Adverse Selection" of Organizations
According to New Institutional Economics, two or more individuals will found an organization, if it leads to a benefit compared to market allocation. A natural consequence will then be internal rent seeking. We discuss the interrelation between profits, rent seeking and the foundation of organizations. Typically, we expect that highly profitable firms are always founded but it is not clear whether the same is true for firms with less optimistic prospects. We will show that internal rent seeking may lead to a completely reversed result. The impact of internal rent seeking on overall investment and the implications of firm size and competition on the foundation of organizations are also addressed.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: http://www.sfbtr15.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kai A. Konrad, 2002.
"Investment in the Absence of Property Rights: The Role of Incumbency Advantages,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
698, CESifo Group Munich.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2002. "Investment in the absence of property rights; the role of incumbency advantages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 1521-1537, September.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2001.
"Investment in the absence of property rights: the role of incumbency advantages
[Investitionsanreize bei unvollständigen Eigentumsrechten: die Rolle von Asymmetrien in Aneignungskonflikten]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 01-18, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Konrad, Kai A., 2001. "Investment in the Absence of Property Rights: The Role of Incumbency Advantages," CEPR Discussion Papers 3050, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1987. "Strategic Behavior in Contests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 891-898, December.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1997.
" Efficiency Wages and X-Inefficiencies,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(4), pages 581-596, December.
- Ellingsen, Tore, 1997. "Efficiency Wages and X-Inefficiencies," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 180, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Inderst, Roman & Mueller, Holger M & Wärneryd, Karl, 2002.
"Distributional Conflict in Organisations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gibbons, Robert, 2005. "Four forma(lizable) theories of the firm?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 200-245, October.
- Inderst, Roman & Müller, Holger M. & Wärneryd, Karl, 2000.
"Influence Costs and Hierarchy,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
00-30, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Inderst, Roman & Müller, Holger M. & Wärneryd, Karl, 2000. "Influence Costs and Hierarchy," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 392, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2004.
"Bidding in hierarchies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1301-1308, December.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2003.
"Bidding in hierarchies
[Das Bieten in Hierarchien]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2003-27, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Konrad, Kai A., 2003. "Bidding in hierarchies
- Muller, Holger M & Warneryd, Karl, 2001. "Inside versus Outside Ownership: A Political Theory of the Firm," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(3), pages 527-541, Autumn.
- Skaperdas, Stergios, 1996.
"Contest Success Functions,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 7(2), pages 283-290, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trf:wpaper:168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamilla Benkelberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.