Contractual Incentive Provision and Commitment in Rent-Seeking Contests
In this paper, we consider a symmetric rent-seeking contest, where employees lobby for a governmental contract on behalf of firms. The only verifiable information is which firm is assigned the contract. We derive the optimal wage contracts of the employees and analyze, whether commitment by determining the wage contract prior to the competitor is profitable. This is indeed the case, i.e. firms prefer to move first in the wage-setting subgame. This complements previous work on rent-seeking contests emphasizing that commitment via rent-seeking expenditures is unprofitable in symmetric contests.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: http://www.sfbtr15.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davis, Douglas D & Reilly, Robert J, 1999. "Rent-Seeking with Non-identical Sharing Rules: An Equilibrium Rescued," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 100(1-2), pages 31-38, July.
- David A. Malueg & Andrew J. Yates, 2004. "Sent Seeking With Private Values," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 119(1_2), pages 161-178, 04.
- Epstein, Gil S & Nitzan, Shmuel, 2002. "Stakes and Welfare in Rent-Seeking Contests," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 112(1-2), pages 137-142, July.
- Nitzan, Shmuel, 1991. "Collective Rent Dissipation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1522-1534, November.
- P.-J. Jost & M. Kräkel, 2005.
"Preemptive behavior in sequential-move tournaments with heterogeneous agents,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 245-252, November.
- Peter-J. Jost & Matthias Kräkel, 2004. "Preemptive Behavior in Sequential-Move Tournaments with Heterogeneous Agents," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse21_2004, University of Bonn, Germany.
- William E. Stein & Amnon Rapoport, 2004. "Asymmetric Two-Stage Group Rent-Seeking: Comparison of Two Contest Structures," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 118(1_2), pages 151-167, 01.
- Kai Konrad & Wolfgang Leininger, 2007.
"The generalized Stackelberg equilibrium of the all-pay auction with complete information,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 11(2), pages 165-174, September.
- Konrad, Kai A. & Leininger, Wolfgang, 2007. "The generalized Stackelberg equilibrium of the all-pay auction with complete information," Munich Reprints in Economics 22092, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Kai A. Konrad & Wolfgang Leininger, 2006. "The generalized Stackelberg equilibrium of the all-pay auction with complete information," Discussion Papers in Economics 06_01, University of Dortmund, Department of Economics.
- Kai A. Konrad & Wolfgang Leininger, 2005. "The Generalized Stackelberg Equilibrium of the All-Pay Auction with Complete Information," CESifo Working Paper Series 1609, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kai A. Konrad & Wolfgang Leininger, 2005. "The generalized Stackelberg equilibrium of the all-pay auction with complete information," Discussion Papers in Economics 05_07, University of Dortmund, Department of Economics.
- Katz, Eliakim & Nitzan, Shmuel & Rosenberg, Jacob, 1990. "Rent-Seeking for Pure Public Goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 65(1), pages 49-60, April.
- Schoonbeek, Lambert, 2002.
"Delegation in a group-contest,"
CCSO Working Papers
200201, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Morgan, John, 2003. "Sequential Contests," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 116(1-2), pages 1-18, July.
- Chaim Fershtman & Kenneth L Judd, 1984.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
642, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lambert Schoonbeek, 2002.
"A delegated agent in a winner-takes-all contest,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 21-23.
- Hwan Baik, Kyung & Lee, Sanghack, 1997. "Collective rent seeking with endogenous group sizes," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 121-130, February.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1987. "Strategic Behavior in Contests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 891-898, December.
- Lee, Sanghack & Hyeong Kang, J., 1998. "Collective contests with externalities," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 727-738, November.
- Baye, Michael R. & Hoppe, Heidrun C., 2003. "The strategic equivalence of rent-seeking, innovation, and patent-race games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 217-226, August.
- Hongbin Cai & Walter Cont, 2004.
"Agency Problems and Commitment in Delegated Bargaining,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 703-729, December.
- Hongbin Cai & Walter Cont, 2000. "Agency Problems and Commitment in Delegated Bargaining," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1270, Econometric Society.
- Skaperdas, Stergios, 1996.
"Contest Success Functions,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 7(2), pages 283-290, February.
- Gil S. Epstein & Shmuel Nitzan, 2000.
"Strategic Restraint in Contests,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
271, CESifo Group Munich.
- Oliver Gurtler & Matthias Krakel, 2003. "Who is declared dead lives longer," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(15), pages 995-997.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2003.
"Bidding in hierarchies
[Das Bieten in Hierarchien]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2003-27, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Muller, Holger M & Warneryd, Karl, 2001. "Inside versus Outside Ownership: A Political Theory of the Firm," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(3), pages 527-541, Autumn.
- Gurtler, Oliver, 2005. "Collective contests with externalities: corrigendum," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 533-536, June.
- Kyung Hwan Baik, 2004. "Two-Player Asymmetric Contests with Ratio-Form Contest Success Functions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(4), pages 679-689, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trf:wpaper:100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamilla Benkelberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.