Copula Based Factorization in Bayesian Multivariate Infinite Mixture Models
Bayesian nonparametric models based on infinite mixtures of density kernels have been recently gaining in popularity due to their flexibility and feasibility of implementation even in complicated modeling scenarios. In economics, they have been particularly useful in estimating nonparametric distributions of latent variables. However, these models have been rarely applied in more than one dimension. Indeed, the multivariate case suffers from the curse of dimensionality, with a rapidly increasing number of parameters needed to jointly characterize each mixing component. In this paper, we propose a factorization scheme for nonparametric mixture models whereby each marginal dimension in the mixing parameter space is modeled separately, linked by a nonparametric random copula function. Specifically, we consider nonparametric univariate Gaussian mixtures for the marginals and a multivariate random Bernstein polynomial copula for the link function, under Dirichlet process priors. We show that this scheme leads to an improvement in the precision of a density estimate in finite samples, providing a suitable tool for applications in higher dimensions. We derive weak posterior consistency of the copula-based mixing scheme for general kernel types under high-level conditions, and strong posterior consistency for the specific Bernstein-Gaussian mixture model.
|Date of creation:||28 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 150 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario|
Phone: (416) 978-5283
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yanbing Zheng & Jun Zhu & Anindya Roy, 2010. "Nonparametric Bayesian inference for the spectral density function of a random field," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 97(1), pages 238-245.
- Keisuke Hirano, 2002. "Semiparametric Bayesian Inference in Autoregressive Panel Data Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 781-799, March.
- Sancetta, Alessio & Satchell, Stephen, 2004. "The Bernstein Copula And Its Applications To Modeling And Approximations Of Multivariate Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 535-562, June.
- Martin Burda & Matthew Harding & Jerry Hausman, 2008.
"A Bayesian mixed logit-probit model for multinomial choice,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP23/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Burda, Martin & Harding, Matthew & Hausman, Jerry, 2008. "A Bayesian mixed logit-probit model for multinomial choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 232-246, December.
- RodrÃguez, Abel & Dunson, David B. & Gelfand, Alan E., 2010. "Latent Stick-Breaking Processes," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(490), pages 647-659.
- Jensen, Mark J. & Maheu, John M., 2010.
"Bayesian semiparametric stochastic volatility modeling,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 306-316, August.
- Mark J Jensen & John M Maheu, 2008. "Bayesian semiparametric stochastic volatility modeling," Working Papers tecipa-314, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Mark J. Jensen & John M. Maheu, 2008. "Bayesian semiparametric stochastic volatility modeling," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2008-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Mark J. Jensen & John M. Maheu, 2009. "Bayesian Semiparametric Stochastic Volatility Modeling," Working Paper Series 23_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Michael Pitt & David Chan & Robert Kohn, 2006. "Efficient Bayesian inference for Gaussian copula regression models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 93(3), pages 537-554, September.
- Zheng, Yanbing, 2011. "Shape restriction of the multi-dimensional Bernstein prior for density functions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(6), pages 647-651, June.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Hamilton, Barton H., 2002. "Semiparametric Bayes analysis of longitudinal data treatment models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 67-89, September.
- Axel Tenbusch, 1994. "Two-dimensional Bernstein polynomial density estimators," Metrika, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 233-253, December.
- Ausin, M. Concepcion & Lopes, Hedibert F., 2010. "Time-varying joint distribution through copulas," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2383-2399, November.
- Paolo Giordani & Xiuyan Mun & Robert Kohn, 2012. "Efficient Estimation of Covariance Matrices using Posterior Mode Multiple Shrinkage," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 11(1), pages 154-192, December.
- Conley, Timothy G. & Hansen, Christian B. & McCulloch, Robert E. & Rossi, Peter E., 2008. "A semi-parametric Bayesian approach to the instrumental variable problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 276-305, May.
- Kim Jin Gyo & Menzefricke Ulrich & Feinberg Fred M., 2004. "Assessing Heterogeneity in Discrete Choice Models Using a Dirichlet Process Prior," Review of Marketing Science, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-41, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tor:tecipa:tecipa-473. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePEc Maintainer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.