Common Risk Factors in Explaining Canadian Equity Returns
This paper adopts the Fama and French (1993) methodology for determining the common risk factors in the returns of Canadian stocks. Our results suggest that the three stock market factors, the excess stock market returns, a size factor, and a book-to-market equity factor, explain most of the variation in Canadian equity returns over time. Unlike in the U.S. equity market, the addition of bond market variables provides little explanatory power in the Canadian equity market, suggesting that the underlying factors influencing stocks and bonds are more distinct in Canada. The stock and bond market factors are then used to estimate the required returns on a sample of Canadian utilities separated into telco, gas/electric and pipeline portfolios. The results presented in this paper suggest that the Fama and French model can make an important contribution to cost of capital determination in regulatory proceedings, especially when combined with estimates based upon alternative methodologies, to provide the regulator with additional insight in deciding the allowed return.
|Date of creation:||11 Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 150 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario|
Phone: (416) 978-5283
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kent Daniel & Sheridan Titman, 1996.
"Evidence on the Characteristics of Cross Sectional Variation in Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
5604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel, Kent & Titman, Sheridan, 1997. " Evidence on the Characteristics of Cross Sectional Variation in Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Bhandari, Laxmi Chand, 1988. " Debt/Equity Ratio and Expected Common Stock Returns: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 507-28, June.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1997. "Industry costs of equity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 153-193, February.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tor:tecipa:berk-00-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePEc Maintainer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.