The GNU/Linux Platform and Freedom Respecting Software for Economists
The GNU|Linux operating system is rapidly gaining ground as an attractive alternative to the proprietary platforms particularly in academic institutions and government agencies. Here, we supply an assessment of this resource from the perspective of econometricians, discuss its benefits and disadvantages along with a basic overview of some of the popular free|libre and open source programs hosted by this platform for conducting research in economics. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+90 312) 292-4000|
Fax: (+90 312) 287-1946
Web page: http://ikt.web.etu.edu.tr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ryan J. Smith & J. Wilson Mixon Jr, 2006. "Teaching undergraduate econometrics with GRETL," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(7), pages 1103-1107.
- Racine, J & Hyndman, R.J., 2001.
"Using R to Teach Econometrics,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
10/01, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Jeff Racine, 2006. "gnuplot 4.0: a portable interactive plotting utility," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 133-141.
- Mico Mrkaic, 2001. "Scilab as an econometric programming system," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 553-559.
- Michael Creel, 2007. "I ran four million probits last night: HPC clustering with ParallelKnoppix," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 215-223.
- A. Talha Yalta & A. Yasemin Yalta, 2007.
"GRETL 1.6.0 and its numerical accuracy,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 849-854.
- Dirk Eddelbuettel, 2000. "Econometrics with Octave," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 531-542.
- Ruud H. Koning, 2001. "A comparison of different LaTeX programs," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 81-92.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tob:wpaper:1005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ismail Saglam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.