Technology and Foreign Direct Investment in Ireland
Two routes by which foreign multinational enterprises (MNEs) may transfer technology - direct R&D undertaken in Ireland or through the transfer of the fruits of R&D work undertaken by the parent firm - are examined. Direct R&D undertaken by MNEs in Ireland now accounts for two-thirds of all R&D in Ireland but does not appear to differ significantly, in terms of application or orientation, from the R&D work undertaken by Irish-owned industry. Using US tax rules on the allocation of parent firm R&D expenditures between the parent firm and the host firm, technology transfer from US parent firms is estimated. It is found that incorporating technology transfer from parent firms doubles the level of R&D expenditure attributable to US firms for use in Ireland.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Trinity College, Dublin 2|
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Hines, Jr., 1994.
"No Place Like Home: Tax Incentives and the Location of R&D by American Multinationals,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 8, pages 65-104
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Hines, Jr., 1993. "No Place Like Home: Tax Incentives and the Location of R&D by American Multinationals," NBER Working Papers 4574, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1969. "Industrial Research and Development: Characteristics, Costs, and Diffusion of Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 65-71, May.
- Fors, Gunnar & Svensson, Roger, 1994. "R&D in Swedish Multinational Corporations," Working Paper Series 406, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ignatius Horstmann & James R. Markusen, 1987. "Licensing versus Direct Investment: A Model of Internalization by the Multinational Enterprise," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(3), pages 464-81, August.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 1993.
"Policies to Encourage Inflows of Technology Through Foreign Multinationals,"
NBER Working Papers
4289, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kokko, Ari & Blomstrom, Magnus, 1995. "Policies to encourage inflows of technology through foreign multinationals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 459-468, March.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1988. "Industrial R&D in Japan and the United States: A Comparative Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 223-28, May.
- Holger Görg & Frances Ruane, 1997. "Reflections on Irish Industrial Policy towards Foreign Direct Investment," Economics Policy Papers 973, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcduet:9810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.