The Possible Impact of China’s WTO Membership on the WTO Agricultural Negotiations
Given China’s impending membership of the WTO, this paper makes a first attempt to predict China’s negotiating strategy in the current agricultural trade negotiations in the light of its food policy objectives, trade position and its accession offer on agriculture. China’s interests with respect to market access are seen as closer to the EU position in the negotiations, while its interests regarding export subsidies, domestic supports and SPS issues are closer to the US position. Its specific negotiating objectives are unlikely to seriously threaten either US or EU interests, and China will be in a strong position to influence the final outcome by allying itself with whichever partner is most willing to accommodate its objectives.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gibson, Paul R. & Wainio, John & Whitley, Daniel B. & Bohman, Mary, 2001. "Profiles Of Tariffs In Global Agricultural Markets," Agricultural Economics Reports 34055, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Colby, Hunter & Diao, Xinshen & Tuan, Francis, 2001. "China's WTO accession," TMD discussion papers 68, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Frank H. Fuller & John C. Beghin & Stephane De Cara & Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Cheng Fang & Holger Matthey, 2001.
"China's Accession to the WTO: What Is at Stake for Agricultural Markets?,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
01-wp276, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Fuller, Frank H. & Beghin, John C. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Fang, Cheng & Matthey, Holger & DeCara, Stephane, 2003. "China's Accession to the WTO: What is at Stake for Agricultural Markets?," Staff General Research Papers 2085, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frank H. Fuller & John C. Beghin & Stephane De Cara & Jacinto F. Fabiosa & Cheng Fang & Holger Matthey, 2001. "China's Accession to the WTO: What Is at Stake for Agricultural Markets?," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-wp276, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Wang, Zhi, 1997. "The Impact of China and Taiwan Joining the World Trade Organization on U.S. and World Agricultural Trade: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," Technical Bulletins 184382, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcdceg:200110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.