Do Bank Stockholders Share the Burden of Required Reserve Tax? Evidence from Turkey
This study examines whether bank shareholders bear the burden of required reserves tax by analyzing the reaction of banks’ stock returns to the changes in the required reserve ratio. Results show that increases in reserve requirements significantly lower bank returns implying that shareholders share a portion of the required reserve tax. Required reserves changes are partially predicted by investors, and increases and decreases in required reserve rates have an asymmetric effect on stock returns. In addition, large and public banks bear a larger share of the tax, and the remuneration of reserves has important implications for the tax burden. Finally, some heterogeneity across banks exists as reflected by differences in the signs and magnitudes of the estimated coefficients.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara|
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, David, 1985. "Financial intermediation, reserve requirements, and inside money: A general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 175-194, September.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Thurston, Thom B., 1986. "State Taxes and Reserve Requirements as Major Determinants of Yield Spreads among Money Market Instruments," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 427-436, December.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Osborne, Dale K. & Zaher, Tarek S., 1992. "Reserve requirements, bank share prices, and the uniqueeness of bank loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 799-812, August.
- Sargent, Thomas & Wallace, Neil, 1985. "Interest on reserves," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 279-290, May.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "IVREG2: Stata module for extended instrumental variables/2SLS and GMM estimation," Statistical Software Components S425401, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 09 Feb 2016.
- Simon T Gray, 2011. "Central Bank Balances and Reserve Requirements," IMF Working Papers 11/36, International Monetary Fund.
- Kolari, James & Mahajan, Arvind & Saunders, Edward M., 1988. "The effect of changes in reserve requirements on bank stock prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 183-198, June.
- Fabia Aparecida de Carvalho & Cyntia F. Azevedo, 2008.
"The incidence of reserve requirements in Brazil: Do bank stockholders share the burden?,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 11, pages 61-90, May.
- Fabia A. de Carvalho & Cyntia F. Azevedo, 2008. "The Incidence of Reserve Requirements in Brazil: Do Bank Stockholders Share the Burden?," Working Papers Series 160, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Dann, Larry Y & James, Christopher M, 1982. " An Analysis of the Impact of Deposit Rate Ceilings on the Market Values of Thrift Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(5), pages 1259-1275, December.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen M & Reinhart, Vincent R, 1999. "On the Use of Reserve Requirements in Dealing with Capital Flow Problems," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 1999. "On the use of reserve requirements in dealing with capital flow problems," MPRA Paper 13703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dwyer, Gerald Jr. & Saving, Thomas R., 1986. "Government revenue from money creation with government and private money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 239-249, March.
- Black, Fischer, 1975. "Bank funds management in an efficient market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 323-339, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:wpaper:1119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ozlem Ekmekciler Ramalho Rocha)or (Ilker Cakar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.