Cigarettes taxes and smuggling in South Africa: Causes and Consequences
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Rajeev Goel, 2008. "Cigarette smuggling: price vs.nonprice incentives," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 587-592.
- Saba, Richard P, et al, 1995. "The Demand for Cigarette Smuggling," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(2), pages 189-202, April.
- Corné Van Walbeek, 2006. "Industry Responses To The Tobacco Excise Tax Increases In South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(1), pages 110-122, March.
- Henry Saffer & Frank Chaloupka, 1999. "Tobacco Advertising: Economic Theory and International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S & Grossman, Michael & Murphy, Kevin M, 1994.
"An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 396-418, June.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction," NBER Working Papers 3322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 61, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Iraj Abedian & Rowena Jacobs, 2001. "Tobacco taxes and government revenue in South Africa," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(6), pages 397-407, October.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Willem H. Boshoff, 2008. "Cigarette Demand In South Africa Over 1996‐2006: The Role Of Price, Income And Health Awareness," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(1), pages 118-131, March.
- Pa Black & Ai Mohamed, 2006. "“Sin” Taxes And Poor Households: Unanticipated Effects," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(1), pages 131-136, March.
- Wasserman, Jeffrey & Manning, Willard G. & Newhouse, Joseph P. & Winkler, John D., 1991. "The effects of excise taxes and regulations on cigarette smoking," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 43-64, May.
- Black, Philip & Calitz, Estian & Steenkamp, Tjaart, 2015. "Public Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 6, number 9780199059089.
- Evan h. Blecher, 2006. "The Effects Of The Tobacco Products Control Amendment Act Of 1999 On Restaurant Revenues In South Africa: A Panel Data Approach," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(1), pages 123-130, March.
- Michael Grossman, 2004. "Individual Behaviors and Substance Use: The Role of Price," NBER Working Papers 10948, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dutra, Lauren M. & Williams, David R. & Gupta, Jhumka & Kawachi, Ichiro & Okechukwu, Cassandra A., 2014. "Human rights violations and smoking status among South African adults enrolled in the South Africa Stress and Health (SASH) study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 103-111.
More about this item
Keywordsexternalities; cigarette smuggling; illegal market; tobacco control;
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2012-06-13 (Africa)
- NEP-IUE-2012-06-13 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2012-06-13 (Public Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sza:wpaper:wpapers161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Melt van Schoor). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/desunza.html .