Cigarettes taxes and smuggling in South Africa: Causes and Consequences
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Saba, Richard P, et al, 1995. "The Demand for Cigarette Smuggling," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(2), pages 189-202, April.
- Corné Van walbeek, 2006. "Industry Responses To The Tobacco Excise Tax Increases In South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(1), pages 110-122, March.
- Henry Saffer & Frank Chaloupka, 1999. "Tobacco Advertising: Economic Theory and International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem h. Boshoff, 2008. "Cigarette Demand In South Africa Over 1996-2006: The Role Of Price, Income And Health Awareness," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(1), pages 118-131, March.
- Becker, Gary S & Grossman, Michael & Murphy, Kevin M, 1994.
"An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 396-418, June.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction," NBER Working Papers 3322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker & Michael Grossman & Kevin M. Murphy, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of Cigarette Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 61, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Black, Philip & Calitz, Estian & Steenkamp, Tjaart, 2015. "Public Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 6, number 9780199059089.
- Michael Grossman, 2004. "Individual Behaviors and Substance Use: The Role of Price," NBER Working Papers 10948, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajeev Goel, 2008. "Cigarette smuggling: price vs.nonprice incentives," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(8), pages 587-592.
- Iraj Abedian & Rowena Jacobs, 2001. "Tobacco taxes and government revenue in South Africa," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(6), pages 397-407, October.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Pa Black & Ai Mohamed, 2006. ""Sin" Taxes And Poor Households: Unanticipated Effects," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(1), pages 131-136, March.
- Wasserman, Jeffrey & Manning, Willard G. & Newhouse, Joseph P. & Winkler, John D., 1991. "The effects of excise taxes and regulations on cigarette smoking," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 43-64, May.
- Evanh. Blecher, 2006. "The Effects Of The Tobacco Products Control Amendment Act Of 1999 On Restaurant Revenues In South Africa: A Panel Data Approach," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(1), pages 123-130, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dutra, Lauren M. & Williams, David R. & Gupta, Jhumka & Kawachi, Ichiro & Okechukwu, Cassandra A., 2014. "Human rights violations and smoking status among South African adults enrolled in the South Africa Stress and Health (SASH) study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 103-111.
More about this item
Keywordsexternalities; cigarette smuggling; illegal market; tobacco control;
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2012-06-13 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-IUE-2012-06-13 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2012-06-13 (Public Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sza:wpaper:wpapers161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Melt van Schoor). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/desunza.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.