Financial Deregulation and Household Saving. The Norwegian Experience Revisited
I use new micro data to study the effects of credit deregulation on the Norwegian household savings decline in the mid-1980s. This paper has three main findings. First, the decline in saving started in 1983, a couple of years earlier than previously thought on the basis of National Accounts data. Second, it was primarily young and middle-aged households who increased their consumption. Finally, the rapid increase in housing prices in 1985-86 may have been an important determinant of older and retired households' saving through reversed mortgages, but cannot on its own explain the decline in savings that started in 1983.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miles, David, 1992. "Housing markets, consumption and financial liberalisation in the major economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1093-1127, June.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Steigum, E.Jr., 1992. "Financial Deregulation, Credit Boom and Banking Crisis: The Case of Norway," Papers 15-92, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Olli-Pekka Lehmussaari, 1990. "Deregulation and Consumption: Saving Dynamics in the Nordic Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(1), pages 71-93, March.
- �yvind Eitrheim & Eilev S. Jansen & Ragnar Nymoen, 2002.
"Progress from forecast failure -- the Norwegian consumption function,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 40-64, June.
- Eitrheim,O. & Jansen,E.S. & Nymoen,R., 2000. "Progress from forecast failure : the Norwegian consumption function," Memorandum 32/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 2000. "Aging and Housing Equity," NBER Working Papers 7882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pål Boug & Knut Anton Mork & Trond Tjemsland, 1995. "Financial Deregulation and Consumer Behavior: the Norwegian Experience," Discussion Papers 156, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1985. "Tests for Liquidity Constraints: A Critical Survey," NBER Working Papers 1720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berg, Lennart, 1994. "Household Savings and Debts: The Experience of the Nordic Countries," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 42-53, Summer.
- Koskela, Erkki & Viren, Matti, 1992. " Inflation, Capital Markets and Household Saving in the Nordic Countries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(2), pages 215-27.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:361. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.