The welfare effects of housing taxation in a distorted economy: A general equilibrium analysis
Efficient capital taxation has been one of the most important objectives for large tax reforms implemented in several countries during the last decades. The Norwegian Tax reform of 1992 took a large step towards tax neutrality between the different capital types and uses. However, housing capital is still an exception. The marginal effective tax rate on housing is substantially lower than the marginal effective tax rates on other capital types and uses. In this paper the welfare effects of imposing a neutral system of housing taxation are analyzed by using an intertemporal disaggregated numerical model for the Norwegian economy. The tax reform implies a substantial increase in the tax revenue from housing taxation, and the welfare effects of different rebating alternatives for the additional tax revenue as lump sum rebating or reductions in other distortionary taxes, are considered.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Auerbach, Alan J., 1989.
"The deadweight loss from `non-neutral' capital income taxation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-36, October.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1988. "The Deadweight Loss from `Non-Neutral' Capital Income Taxation," NBER Working Papers 2510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holmoy, Erling & Vennemo, Haakon, 1995. "A general equilibrium assessment of a suggested reform in capital income taxation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 531-556, December.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Dagsvik, John K & Strom, Steinar, 1995. " Labor Supply Responses and Welfare Effects of Tax Reforms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 635-59, December.
- Krugman, Paul, 2008. "Increasing returns," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2008-3, Nobel Prize Committee.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152978 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Philippe Thalmann, 1990.
"Approaches to Efficient Capital Taxation: Leveling the Playing Field vs.Living by the Golden Rule,"
NBER Working Papers
3559, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Thalmann, Philippe, 1993. "Approaches to efficient capital taxation : Leveling the playing field vs. living by the golden rule," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 169-196, February.
- Steigum, E.Jr., 1992. "Accounting for Long-Run Effects of Fiscal Policy by Means of Computable Overlapping Generations Models," Papers 05-92, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Tor Jakob Klette, 1994. "Estimating Price- Cost Margins and Scale Economies from a Panel of Microdata," Discussion Papers 130, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Parry, Ian W. H. & Williams, Roberton III & Goulder, Lawrence H., 1999.
"When Can Carbon Abatement Policies Increase Welfare? The Fundamental Role of Distorted Factor Markets,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 52-84, January.
- Parry, Ian & Goulder, Lawrence & Williams III, Roberton, 1997. "When Can Carbon Abatement Policies Increase Welfare? The Fundamental Role of Distorted Factor Markets," Discussion Papers dp-97-18-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Ian W. H. Parry & Roberton C. Williams III & Lawrence H. Goulder, 1997. "When Can Carbon Abatement Policies Increase Welfare? The Fundamental Role of Distorted Factor Markets," NBER Working Papers 5967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bye, Brita, 2000. "Environmental Tax Reform and Producer Foresight: An Intertemporal Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 719-752, November.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Goulder, L.H., 1993. "Promoting investment under international capital mobility : An intertemporal general equilibrium analysis," Other publications TiSEM 29893d08-baf5-491e-9404-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Lawrence H. Goulder, 1989.
"Promoting Investment under International Capital Mobility: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
3139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & Goulder, Lawrence H, 1993. " Promoting Investment under International Capital Mobility: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 133-56.
- Atkinson, A B & Sandmo, A, 1980. "Welfare Implications of the Taxation of Savings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(359), pages 529-49, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.