Rational Expectations in Price Setting. Tests Based on Norwegian Export Prices
This paper uses imperfect competition as a basis for modelling the export price for an aggregated commodity produced by the Norwegian private mainland economy. The long run solution is analysed using a cointegration technique. The dynamics are modelled according to two different approaches; a backward looking error correction model and a forward looking model where rational expectations are assumed. The dynamic structure of the forward looking model is derived from a linear quadratic adjustment cost function under rational expectations, but the empirical results do not support this specification. We cannot reject super-exogeneity to be present in the backward looking error correction model. The empirical evidence are thus not consistent with rational expectations.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: +47 - 62 88 55 95
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1987.
"Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models,"
3122490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," NBER Working Papers 1885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 785, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Engle, R. & Hendry, D., 1990.
"Testing Super Exogeneity And Invariance In Regression Models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99100, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F. & Hendry, David F., 1993. "Testing superexogeneity and invariance in regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 119-139, March.
- Davidson, James E H, et al, 1978. "Econometric Modelling of the Aggregate Time-Series Relationship between Consumers' Expenditure and Income in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 661-692, December.
- Cuthbertson, Keith & Taylor, Mark P, 1992. "A Comparison of the Rational Expectations and the General-to-Specific Approaches to Modelling the Demand for M1," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 60(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Stephen Nickell, 1984. "An Investigation of the Determinants of Manufacturing Employment in the United Kingdom," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(4), pages 529-557.
- Callen, T S & Hall, S G & Henry, S G B, 1990. "Manufacturing Stocks: Expectations, Risk and Co-integration," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 756-772, September.
- Engsted, Tom & Haldrup, Niels, 1994. "The Linear Quadratic Adjustment Cost Model and the Demand for Labour," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(S), pages 145-159, Suppl. De.
- Andrew C. Harvey, 1990. "The Econometric Analysis of Time Series, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026208189x, September.
- Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 1992.
"On Weak Exogeneity in Error Correction Models,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(2), pages 187-207, May.
- Muscatelli, V A, 1989. "A Comparison of the 'Rational Expectations' and 'General-to-Specific' Approaches to Modelling the Demand for M1," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(4), pages 353-375, November.
- Ingvild Svendsen, 1995. "Forward- and Backward Looking Models for Norwegian Export Prices," Discussion Papers 152, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Price, Simon, 1992. "Forward Looking Price Setting in UK Manufacturing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(412), pages 497-505, May.
- Simon Burgess, 1991.
"Nonlinear Dynamics in a Structural Model of Employment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0037, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burgess, S M, 1992. "Nonlinear Dynamics in a Structural Model of Employment," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages 101-118, Suppl. De.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:226. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (L MaasÃ¸)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.