Rooms for extension of the ECB’s quantitative easing programme
The announcement of an extension of quantitative easing (QE) until March 2017, at least, has cast doubts on the strength of the Euro area recovery and it has raised concerns about the credibility of the ECB. In this contribution, we argue that the current design of QE prevents unlimited monetary accommodation and, meanwhile, it may reduce the effectiveness of QE. Extending QE again through a modification in its design is thus possible. It will be effective provided governments and the ECB are able to cooperate.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Reis, 2013.
"The Mystique Surrounding the Central Bank's Balance Sheet, Applied to the European Crisis,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 103(3), pages 135-140, May.
- Reis, Ricardo, 2013. "The mystique surrounding the central bank’s balance sheet, applied to the European crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 9326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Reis, 2013. "The Mystique Surrounding the Central Bank's Balance Sheet, Applied to the European Crisis," NBER Working Papers 18730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christophe Blot & Jérôme Creel & Paul Hubert & Fabien Labondance, 2015. "The QE experience: worth a try?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/4qb2og10r48, Sciences Po.
- Christophe Blot & Jérôme Creel & Paul Hubert & Fabien Labondance, 2015. "The QE experience : Worth a try ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/166ip2fse39, Sciences Po.
- Christophe Blot & Jérôme Creel & Paul Hubert & Fabien Labondance, 2015. "The QE experience: Worth a try?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/76n8jifalu9, Sciences Po.
- Seok Gil Park, 2015. "Central Banks' Quasi-Fiscal Policies and Inflation," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 11(2), pages 199-236, March.
- Del Negro, Marco & Sims, Christopher A., 2015. "When does a central bank׳s balance sheet require fiscal support?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 1-19.
- Del Negro, Marco & Sims, Christopher A., 2014. "When does a central bank’s balance sheet require fiscal support?," Staff Reports 701, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Christopher Sims & Marco Del Negro, 2014. "When does a central bank's balance sheet require fiscal support?," 2014 Meeting Papers 763, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Woodford, Michael, 1994. "Monetary Policy and Price Level Determinacy in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 4(3), pages 345-380.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1994. "A Simple Model for Study of the Determination of the Price Level and the Interaction of Monetary and Fiscal Policy," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 4(3), pages 381-399. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/6tr1nod75s8ica439nb3qggf7q. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.