Demand Forecasting in the Early Stage of the Technology's Life Cycle Using Bayesian update
Forecasting demand for new technology for which few historical data observations are available is difficult but essential to successful marketing. The current study suggests an alternative forecasting methodology based on a hazard rate model using stated and revealed preferences. In estimating the hazard rate, information is derived initially through conjoint analysis based on a consumer survey and then updated using Bayes¡¯ theorem with available market data. Based on the results of the empirical analysis, the model described here can significantly improve demand forecasting for newly introduced technologies.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://temep.snu.ac.kr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Calfee & Clifford Winston & Randolph Stempski, 2001. "Econometric Issues In Estimating Consumer Preferences From Stated Preference Data: A Case Study Of The Value Of Automobile Travel Time," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 699-707, November.
- Kim, Yunhee & Lee, Jeong-Dong & Heshmati, Almas, 2008.
"Analysis of Pay Inequality and its Impacts on Growth and Performance in the Korean Manufacturing Industry,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3774, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yunhee Kim & Jeong-Dong Lee & Almas Heshmati, 2009. "Analysis of Pay Inequality and its Impacts on Growth and Performance in the Korean Manufacturing Industry," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200902, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jan 2009.
- Hannan, Timothy H & McDowell, John M, 1987. "Rival Precedence and the Dynamics of Technology Adoption: An Empirical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(214), pages 155-71, May.
- Tai-Yoo Kim & Almas Heshmati & Jihyun Park, 2009. "Perspectives on the Decelerating Agricultural society," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200901, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jan 2009.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snv:dp2009:200903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.