Cost Pass Through in a Competitive Model of Pricing-to-Market
This paper builds up an extension to the Mussa and Rosen (1978) model of quality pricing under perfect competition. Our model incorporates decreasing returns to scale. First, we predict that exchange rate shocks are imperfectly passed through into prices. Second, prices of low quality goods are more sensitive to exchange rate shocks than prices of high quality goods. Third, in response to an exchange rate appreciation, the composition of exports shifts towards higher quality and more expensive goods. We test those predictions using highly disaggregated price and quantity US import data. We find that the prices of high quality goods, proxied as high unit price goods, are more sensitive to exchange rate movements. Moreover, we find evidence that in response to an exchange rate appreciation, the composition of exports shifts towards high unit price goods.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 631 31 11
Fax: +41 44 631 39 11
Web page: http://www.snb.ch/en/ifor/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 1996. "The exchange rate in a model of pricing-to-market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1007-1021, April.
- Gita Gopinath & Oleg Itskhoki & Roberto Rigobon, 2010.
"Currency Choice and Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 304-36, March.
- Xavier Gabaix & Augustin Landier, 2006.
"Why Has CEO Pay Increased So Much?,"
2006 Meeting Papers
518, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christopher Gust & Sylvain Leduc & Robert Vigfusson, 2006.
"Trade Integration, Competiton, and the Decline in Exchange-rate Pass-through,"
2006 Meeting Papers
165, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gust, Christopher & Leduc, Sylvain & Vigfusson, Robert, 2010. "Trade integration, competition, and the decline in exchange-rate pass-through," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 309-324, April.
- Christopher Gust & Sylvain Leduc & Robert J. Vigfusson, 2006. "Trade integration, competition, and the decline in exchange-rate pass-through," International Finance Discussion Papers 864, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kleshchelski, Isaac & Vincent, Nicolas, 2009.
"Market share and price rigidity,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 344-352, April.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Luca Dedola & Sylvain Leduc, 2005.
"DSGE models of high exchange-rate volatility and low pass-through,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
845, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Luca Dedola & Sylvain Leduc, 2005. "DSGE Models of High Exchange-Rate Volatility and Low Pass-Through," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/23, European University Institute.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Dedola, Luca & Leduc, Sylvain, 2005. "DSGE Models of High Exchange-Rate Volatility and Low Pass-Through," CEPR Discussion Papers 5377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nocke, Volker & Yeaple, Stephen, 2007. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions vs. greenfield foreign direct investment: The role of firm heterogeneity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 336-365, July.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:snb:snbwpa:2008-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Enzo Rossi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.