What are service sector innovations and how do we measure them?
Services dominate all advanced economies but service innovations are still an underresearched topic. One of the reasons are definitional and measurement difficulties. The goal of the paper is to highlight those by reviewing recent literature and to assess the current state of knowledge and challenges. Theoretical approaches, empirical techniques and selected empirical results are discussed. Apparently the biggest challenge, at this point, is to create a unified conceptual framework, that would encompass both manufacturing ad services. Meeting this challenge will, however, be difficult, given the strong focus on manufacturing, both in the literature and in the way enterprise surveys are designed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Aleja Jana Pawla II, 61, 01-031 Warsaw|
Phone: +48 22 206 29 00
Fax: +48 22 206 29 01
Web page: http://www.case-research.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hollenstein, Heinz, 2003. "Innovation modes in the Swiss service sector: a cluster analysis based on firm-level data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 845-863, May.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 978-994, July.
- Fulvio, Castellacci, 2007. "Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation," MPRA Paper 26408, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Drejer, Ina, 2004. "Identifying innovation in surveys of services: a Schumpeterian perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 551-562, April.
- Barras, Richard, 1986. "Towards a theory of innovation in services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 161-173, August.
- Barras, Richard, 1993. "Interactive innovation in financial and business services: The vanguard of the service revolution," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 101-102, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sec:cnstan:0422. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agata Kwiek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.