Toward Environmental Responsibility of Thai Shrimp Farming through a Voluntary Management Scheme
The implementation of voluntary adoption of the Code of Conduct (CoC) to promote environmental responsibility and sustainable development of Thai shrimp industry is examined. Farmers’ perceived- benefits, risks and uncertain-ties associated with the adoption and their perceived extra fixed cost are found to be the critical conditions to the success of the program. Improvement of farmers’ perception through increased information and knowledge, develop-ment of supportive policies and mechanisms (i.e. a “Group CoC” system, insur-ance program, a combination of environmental policy approaches) and strengthening farmer organizations and networks among and between the play-ers throughout the market chain are suggested as to enhance the adoption and implementation of the scheme.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Niels Bohrs Vej 9, 6700 Esbjerg|
Phone: (+45) 6550 1000
Fax: (+45) 6550 1091
Web page: http://www.sam.sdu.dk/ime
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fraser, R. W. & Lekakis, J. N., 2003. "Risk Management and the Environment: Agriculture in Perspective," Staff General Research Papers 10594, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Mitchell, Paul D. & Hennessy, David A., 2003. "Factors Determining Best Management Practice Adoption Incentives and the Impact of Green Insurance," Staff General Research Papers 10418, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stanley, Denise L., 2000. "The economics of the adoption of BMPs: the case of mariculture water management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 145-155, November.
- Luc Valentin & Daniel J. Bernardo & Terry L. Kastens, 2004. "Testing the Empirical Relationship between Best Management Practice Adoption and Farm Profitability," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 489-504.
- Mitchell, Paul D., 2004.
"Nutrient Best Management Practice Insurance and Farmer Perceptions of Adoption Risk,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(03), pages 657-673, December.
- Mitchell, Paul D., 2004. "Nutrient Best Management Practice Insurance and Farmer Perceptions of Adoption Risk," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(03), December.
- Tipparat Pongthanapanich, 2005. "Options and Tradeoffs in Krabi's Coastal Land Use," Working Papers 66/2005, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Suthawan Sathirathai, 1998. "Economic Valuation of Mangroves and the Roles of Local Communities in the Conservation of Natural Resources: Case Study of Surat Thani, South of Thailand," EEPSEA Research Report rr1998061, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Jun 1998.
- Tipparat Pongthanapanich, 2005. "An Optimal Corrective Tax for Thai Shrimp Farming," Working Papers 64/2005, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sdk:wpaper:70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ulla H. Oehlenschläger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.