Optimal Coastal Land Use and Management in Krabi, Thailand: Compromise Programming Approach
This paper identifies the optimal options of Krabi’s coastal land use to facilitate the final planning decision. Through compromise programming approach, the optimization models with respect to the weights assigned to two objectives of maximizing the net private and environmental benefits are formulated to derive the options. Various externality management scenarios based on different applications of policy tools are assessed. All scenarios suggest the optimal options in favour of mangrove conservation when both objectives are considered equally important. This is not the case when the private benefit objective is assigned a higher weight at a certain level for each scenario, which results in the pro development of shrimp farming. The policy framework based on a combination of carrying capacity and green taxation regime would ensure that even if the pro development option were chosen, the positive net environmental gain and the integrity of coastal receiving waters would be obtained.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Niels Bohrs Vej 9, 6700 Esbjerg|
Phone: (+45) 6550 1000
Fax: (+45) 6550 1091
Web page: http://www.sam.sdu.dk/ime
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tipparat Pongthanapanich, 2005. "An Optimal Corrective Tax for Thai Shrimp Farming," Working Papers 64/2005, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Tipparat Pongthanapanich, 2005. "Options and Tradeoffs in Krabi's Coastal Land Use," Working Papers 66/2005, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- El-Gayar, Omar F. & Leung, PingSun, 2001. "A multiple criteria decision making framework for regional aquaculture development," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(3), pages 462-482, September.
- P. L. Yu, 1973. "A Class of Solutions for Group Decision Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(8), pages 936-946, April.
- Wu, Chia-Chin & Chang, Ni-Bin, 2004. "Corporate optimal production planning with varying environmental costs: A grey compromise programming approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 68-95, May.
- Gershon, Mark, 1984. "The role of weights and scales in the application of multiobjective decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 244-250, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sdk:wpaper:67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ulla H. Oehlenschläger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.