The distributional and welfare impact of inflation in Italy
The entrance of Italy in the Euro area in 2001 has given rise to a wide debate about the perception of inflation on householdsâ€™ well-being. However, most of the debate has involved the measurement of the â€œcorrectâ€ consumer price index at national level. Much less analysis has been carried out on the microeconomic consequences of inflation on every household and to the investigation of its distributional impact. This paper addresses this issue by performing a microsimulation analysis of the impact of inflation on Italian households in the period 1997-2007. The extension of the study allows to capture possible structural breaks in correspondence of the adoption of the euro currency in 2001, and to get insightful information on the persistence of either positive or negative impacts. All methods of investigation proposed in this paper show that the impact of inflation has an ambiguous path over the period, yet a large concentration of welfare losses is found in the period surrounding the introduction of the euro currency. In particular, poorer and larger households are found to be severely hurt by inflation and a closer inspection suggests that the prices of gas and gasoline are largely responsible in determining living conditions of Italian households in both the period around the introduction of the euro and over the decade.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Del Castro Laurenziano 9, 00161 Roma|
Phone: +39 6 49766353
Fax: +39 6 4462040
Web page: http://www.dipecodir.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morné Oosthuizen, 2007. "Consumer Price Inflation across the Income Distribution in South Africa," Working Papers 07129, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Francesco CHELLI & Chiara GIGLIARANO & Elvio MATTIOLI, 2009. "The Impact of Inflation on Heterogeneous Groups of Households: an Application to Italy," Working Papers 329, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- S. J. Prais, 1959. "Whose Cost of Living?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 126-134.
- Andrea Brandolini, 1999.
"The Distribution of Personal Income in Post-War Italy: Source Description, Data Quality, and the Time Pattern of Income Inequality,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 58(2), pages 183-239, September.
- Brandolini, A., 1999. "The Distribution of Personal Income in Post-War Italy: Source Description, Date Quality, and the Time Pattern of Income Inequality," Papers 350, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Andrea Brandolini, 1999. "The Distribution of Personal Income in Post-War Italy: Source Description, Data Quality, and the Time Pattern of Income Inequality," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 350, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Javier Ruiz-Castillo & Eduardo Ley & Mario Izquierdo, .
"The plutocratic bias in the CPI: Evidence from Spain,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Javier Ruiz Castillo & Eduardo Ley & Mario Izquierdo, 2000. "The Plutocratic Bias in the CPI; Evidence from Spain," IMF Working Papers 00/167, International Monetary Fund.
- Paolo Liberati, 2001. "The Distributional Effects of Indirect Tax Changes in Italy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 8(1), pages 27-51, January.
- Massimo Baldini, 2005. "Inflation inequality in Italy," Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP) 0008, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Ahmad,Etisham & Stern,Nicholas, 1991.
"The Theory and Practice of Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521397421, December.
- Ahmad,Etisham & Stern,Nicholas, 1991. "The Theory and Practice of Tax Reform in Developing Countries," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521265638, December.
- Robert Z. Ailber (ed.), 2001. "International Finance," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 525, June.
- Bart Hobijn & David Lagakos, 2005.
"Inflation Inequality In The United States,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(4), pages 581-606, December.
- Deaton, Angus, 1977. "Equity, efficiency, and the structure of indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 299-312, December.
- Ian Crawford, 1994. "UK household cost-of-living indices, 1979-92," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 15(4), pages 1-28, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sap:wpaper:wp134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.