Politics by numbers? An exploration of councillors’ apparent use of financial information during the budget discussion in Flemish municipal councils
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Henk Ter Bogt, 2001. "Politicians and output-oriented performance evaluation in municipalities," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 621-643.
- Benoît Maux & Yvon Rocaboy & Timothy Goodspeed, 2011.
"Political fragmentation, party ideology and public expenditures,"
Public Choice, Springer, vol. 147(1), pages 43-67, April.
- Timothy Goodspeed & Benoît Le Maux & Yvon Rocaboy, 2009. "Political fragmentation, party ideology and public expenditures," Post-Print halshs-00422066, HAL.
- Benoît Le Maux & Yvon Rocaboy & Timothy Goodspeed, 2011. "Political fragmentation, party ideology and public expenditures," Post-Print halshs-00453174, HAL.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed & Yvon Rocaboy & Benoit Le Maux, 2011. "Political fragmentation, Party ideology and Public expenditures," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 435, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Berit Adam & Christiane Behm, 2006. "The Use of Budget Reforms to Modernize Governance in German Local Government," Public Money & Management, Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, vol. 26(4), pages 217-220, September.
- G. Jan van Helden & Åge Johnsen & Jarmo Vakkuri, 2008. "Distinctive research patterns on public sector performance measurement of public administration and accounting disciplines," Public Management Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 641-651, September.
- Lounsbury, Michael, 2008. "Institutional rationality and practice variation: New directions in the institutional analysis of practice," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(4-5), pages 349-361.
- Giroux, Gary & McLelland, Andrew J., 2003. "Governance structures and accounting at large municipalities," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 203-230.
- Stijn Goeminne & Benny Geys & Carine Smolders, 2008.
"Political fragmentation and projected tax revenues: evidence from Flemish municipalities,"
International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 15(3), pages 297-315, June.
- Goeminne, Stijn & Geys, Benny & Smolders, Carine, 2007.
"Political fragmentation and projected tax revenues: evidence from Flemish municipalities
[Politische Zersplitterung und erwartete Steuereinnahmen: Empirische Belege aus flämischen Gemeinden]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2007-03, WZB Berlin Social Science Center.
- Goeminne, Stijn & Geys, Benny & Smolders, Carine, 2007. "Political fragmentation and projected tax revenues: evidence from Flemish municipalities
- Vicente Pina & Lourdes Torres & Ana Yetano, 2009. "Accrual Accounting in EU Local Governments: One Method, Several Approaches," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 765-807.
- Albert Solé-Ollé, 2006. "The effects of party competition on budget outcomes: Empirical evidence from local governments in Spain," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 145-176, January.
- José Caamaño-Alegre & Santiago Lago-Peñas & Francisco Reyes-Santias & Aurora Santiago-Boubeta, 2011. "Budget Transparency in Local Governments: An Empirical Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1102, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Irvine Lapsley, 2009. "New Public Management: The Cruellest Invention of the Human Spirit?1," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 45(1), pages 1-21, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nogueira, Sónia Paula S. & Jorge, Susana Margarida F., 2016. "Explanatory factors for the use of the financial report in decision-making: Evidence from Local Government in Portugal," Revista de Contabilidad - Spanish Accounting Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 216-226.
More about this item
KeywordsNew Public Management; Financial information; Councilors; Budget.;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-POL-2013-11-02 (Positive Political Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:13/841. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ferugbe.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.