Dynamic cross-sales effects of price promotions: Empirical generalizations
In this research we use the framework of market-basket analysis and techniques from modern multivariate time-series analysis to measure and explain the dynamic impact of a price promotion on the sales of a complementary product. The large scale of this research enables us to derive empirical generalizations. We contribute to the literature in drawing the following conclusions: Firstly, we illustrate that using an intense promotion strategy, characterized by deeper and more frequent price promotions, has a negative impact on the cross-price effect. Secondly, we show that using the same brand name (umbrella branding) for two complements has a beneficial influence on the cross-price effect. Finally, we show that price levels of the products are important moderators in explaining persistent cross-price effects.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Dekimpe, Marnik & Hanssens, Dominique M. & Silva-Risso, Jorge M., 1998. "Long-run effects of price promotions in scanner markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 269-291, November.
- Evans, Lewis & Wells, Graeme, 1983. "An alternative approach to simulating var models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 23-29.
- B. Vindevogel & D. Van Den Poel & G. Wets, 2004. "Why promotion strategies based on market basket analysis do not work," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/262, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- D. VAN DEN POEL & Jan J. DE SCHAMPHELAERE & G. WETS, 2003. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Retail Promotions," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/202, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Magid M. Abraham & Leonard M. Lodish, 1993. "An Implemented System for Improving Promotion Productivity Using Store Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(3), pages 248-269.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:04/276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.