Market Analysis in the Presence of Indirect Constraints and Captive Sales
This paper analyzes merchant markets in the presence of vertically-integrated firms. We discuss when vertical integration tends to increase the elasticity of (derived) demand in the merchant market because of indirect contraints arising from the retail market. We also discuss the relevance of different measures of market power such as market shares in the wholesale or retail market. We provide insights into the likely effect of an upstream merger under vertical integration, depending on, for instance, whether the integrated firm currently sells into the merchant market or whether this can be expected after the merger.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.it
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Avenel & Corinne Barlet, 2000.
"Vertical Foreclosure, Technological Choice, and Entry on the Intermediate Market,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 211-230, 06.
- Eric Avenel & Corinne Barlet, 2000. "Vertical Foreclosure, Technological Choice, and Entry on the Intermediate Market," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 211-230, 06.
- Avenel, E. & Barlet, C., 2000. "Vertical Foreclosure, Technological Choice and Entry on the Intermediate Market," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.18, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Salinger, Michael A, 1988. "Vertical Mergers and Market Foreclosure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(2), pages 345-56, May.
- Alexander Schrader & Stephen Martin, 1998. "Vertical Market Participation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 321-331, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.