The functioning of the European interbank market during the 2007-08 financial crisis
This paper analyses the functioning of the overnight unsecured euro money market during the ongoing crisis in terms of i) operational efficiency of monetary policy implementation, ii) efficient reallocation of banking system’s reserves, iii) developments in the pricing of interbank loans. The results suggest that monetary policy implementation has been hampered by the crisis, particularly after the end of September 2008. A heightened awareness of counterparty credit risk seems to be one key factor behind the downward pressure on unsecured rates, as well as behind the notable increase in their cross-section dispersion. Starting from September 2008, and even more in October 2008, banks perceived as relatively “riskier” pre-turmoil paid significantly higher interest rates to borrow overnight funds. In November, a non-uniform softening of the strains occurred: only the most active (roughly the largest) borrowers experienced a notable price improvement. This is possibly a reflection of the bailouts of “too-big-to-fail” institutions. Heterogeneous developments in banks’ funding costs also suggest a move against the integration of the euro interbank market.
|Date of creation:||28 May 2010|
|Date of revision:||28 May 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.it
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viral V. Acharya & Denis Gromb & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2012.
"Imperfect Competition in the Interbank Market for Liquidity as a Rationale for Central Banking,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 184-217, April.
- Acharya, Viral V & Gromb, Denis & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2008. "Imperfect Competition in the Inter-Bank Market for Liquidity as a Rationale for Central Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 6984, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren & Geoffrey M. B. Tootell, 1999.
"Is Bank Supervision Central to Central Banking?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 629-653.
- Beaupain, Renaud & Durré, Alain, 2008.
"The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: evidence from an electronic platform,"
Working Paper Series
0988, European Central Bank.
- R. Beaupain & A. Durre, 2009. "The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: evidence from an electronic platform," Post-Print hal-00393027, HAL.
- R. Beaupain & A. Durre, 2008. "The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: Evidence from an electronic platform," Post-Print hal-00393019, HAL.
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2009.
"A black swan in the money market,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Claudio Borio, 2008. "The financial turmoil of 2007-?: a preliminary assessment and some policy considerations," BIS Working Papers 251, Bank for International Settlements.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Sally M. Davies & Mark J. Flannery, 2000.
"Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 641-670.
- Berger, Allen N & Davies, Sally M & Flannery, Mark J, 2000. "Comparing Market and Supervisory Assessments of Bank Performance: Who Knows What When?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 641-667, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Sally M. Davies & Mark J. Flannery, 1998. "Comparing market and supervisory assessments of bank performance: who knows what when?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-32, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002.
"Bank Panics and the Endogeneity of Central Banking,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gorton, Gary & Huang, Lixin, 2006. "Bank panics and the endogeneity of central banking," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1613-1629, October.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002. "Bank Panics and the Endogeneity of Central Banking," NBER Working Papers 9102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2005.
"Liquidity, Risk-Taking and the Lender of Last Resort,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4967, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rafael Repullo, 2005. "Liquidity, Risk Taking, and the Lender of Last Resort," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(2), September.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2005. "Liquidity, Risk Taking, and the Lender of Last Resort," MPRA Paper 826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angelo Baglioni & Andrea Monticini, 2008. "The Intraday Price of Money: Evidence from the e-MID Interbank Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(7), pages 1533-1540, October.
- repec:cmf:wpaper:wp2005_0504 is not listed on IDEAS
- Iori, G. & Masi, G. D. & Precup, O. V. & Gabbi, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2005.
"A network analysis of the Italian oversight money market,"
05/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Iori, Giulia & De Masi, Giulia & Precup, Ovidiu Vasile & Gabbi, Giampaolo & Caldarelli, Guido, 2008. "A network analysis of the Italian overnight money market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Benito, Francis & Leon, Angel & Nave, Juan, 2007. "Modeling the Euro overnight rate," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 756-782, December.
- Furfine, Craig H, 2001. "Banks as Monitors of Other Banks: Evidence from the Overnight Federal Funds Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 33-57, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.