Some Rise by Sin, and Some by Virtue Fall: Firm Dynamics, Market Structure and Performance
This paper investigates the microeconomic dynamics of the New Zealand economy using a powerful new SNZ-held dataset. For the first time, tax data covering operating performance and position (IR10), company income declarations (IR4) and sales & purchases (GST) have been combined with firm-level (LEED) employment data and Customs merchandise trade data to create a full coverage Longitudinal Business Database (LBD). We use this data to expand the available set of firm performance measures to include multi-factor productivity, profitability and export intensity. These and other performance variables are used to examine the distribution and dynamic of New Zealand firm performance, focussing on the characteristics of firms that display superior or inferior firm-level outcomes.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1473, Wellington|
Fax: +64-4-473 4638
Web page: http://www.med.govt.nz/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mare, David & Timmins, Jason, 2007.
"Geographic Concentration and Firm Productivity,"
07/1, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Bartelsman, Eric J & Haskel, Jonathan & Martin, Ralf, 2008. "Distance to Which Frontier? Evidence on Productivity Convergence from International Firm-level Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 7032, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabling, Richard, 2007. "Just How Innovative are New Zealand Firms? Quantifying & Relating Organisational and Marketing Innovation to Traditional Science & Technology Indicators," Occasional Papers 07/4, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Fabling, Richard & Grimes, Arthur & Stevens, Philip, 2008. "A Comparison of Qualitative and Quantitative Firm Performance Measures," Occasional Papers 08/4, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2000.
"Exporting and Productivity,"
00-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- David Law & Bob Buckle & Dean Hyslop, 2006. "Toward a Model of Firm Productivity Dynamics," Treasury Working Paper Series 06/11, New Zealand Treasury.
- Fabling, Richard & Sanderson, Lynda, 2008. "Firm Level Patterns in Merchandise Trade," Occasional Papers 08/3, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- David Law & Nathan McLellan, 2005. "The Contributions from Firm Entry, Exit and Continuation to Labour Productivity Growth in New Zealand," Treasury Working Paper Series 05/01, New Zealand Treasury.
- Stefano Scarpetta & Philip Hemmings & Thierry Tressel & Jaejoon Woo, 2002. "The Role of Policy and Institutions for Productivity and Firm Dynamics: Evidence from Micro and Industry Data," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 329, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:nzmedo:2008_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Devine)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.