Firm Level Patterns in Merchandise Trade
In this paper we examine patterns of merchandise exporting at both the firm level (1996-2005) and the product level (1988-2005). The presentation is descriptive, and is intended to frame future analysis of the determinants and impact of observed trading behaviour. There are two main points of focus: the degree of concentration in export products, partners, and firms; and the dynamics of trade relationship entry and exit, where trade relationships can be defined according to the product, country or firm concerned, or a combination of the three. The main contribution is the development of a decomposition of export value growth into that coming from new entries, exits and continuing exporters and export relationships. Future work will examine the causal relationships underlying observed patterns of export market entry and exit, and the impact that these dynamics have on firm performance.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1473, Wellington|
Fax: +64-4-473 4638
Web page: http://www.med.govt.nz/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2001.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
NBER Working Papers
8349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grimes, Arthur, 2006.
"A Smooth Ride: Terms of Trade, Volatility and GDP Growth,"
06/4, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Grimes, Arthur, 2006. "A smooth ride: Terms of trade, volatility and GDP growth," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 583-600, October.
- Fabling, Richard & Grimes, Arthur & Sanderson , Lynda & Stevens, Philip, 2008. "Some Rise by Sin, and Some by Virtue Fall: Firm Dynamics, Market Structure and Performance," Occasional Papers 08/1, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Lederman, Daniel & Maloney, William F., 2003. "Trade structure and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3025, The World Bank.
- Tibor Besedes & Thomas Prusa, 2006. "Ins, outs, and the duration of trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(1), pages 266-295, February.
- Besedes, Tibor & Prusa, Thomas J., 2006. "Product differentiation and duration of US import trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 339-358, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:nzmedo:2008_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Devine)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.