Sovereign Borrowing for Dubious Reforms: A model with applications on the EMU
This paper presents a model where governments need loans to ﬁnance reforms and may misuse these funds for consumption without immediately exposing this to its lenders. Such a misuse is ultimately followed by a sovereign default, therefore lenders will try to discipline governments in favor of true reforms. This puts a government and its lenders in a sequential game, which has two remarkable properties: First, discipling a government in favor of reforms may work, albeit far from perfect. Second, the game implies jumps in the interest rate as observed in the EMU debt crisis.
|Date of creation:||27 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uportu.pt/site-scripts/centro_pagina.asp?codmenu=71&codcentro=24
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cole, Harold L. & Kehoe, Patrick J., 1995.
"The role of institutions in reputation models of sovereign debt,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 45-64, February.
- Harold L. Cole & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1994. "The role of institutions in reputation models of sovereign debt," Staff Report 179, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2011.
"The Euro and Structural Reforms,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, vol. 2(1).
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2008. "The Euro and Structural Reforms," Working Papers 344, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2008. "The Euro and Structural Reforms," NBER Working Papers 14479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997. "Gradualism versus Big Bang: Speed and Sustainability of Reforms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1234-47, November.
- Balli, Faruk, 2008.
"Spillover Effects on Government Bond Yields in Euro Zone. Does Full Financial Integration Exist in European Government Bond Markets?,"
10162, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Faruk Balli, 2009. "Spillover effects on government bond yields in euro zone. Does full financial integration exist in European government bond markets?," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 331-363, October.
- Alois Geyer & Stephan Kossmeier & Stefan Pichler, 2004. "Measuring Systematic Risk in EMU Government Yield Spreads," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 171-197.
- Marta Gómez-Puig, .
"Monetary integration and the cost of borrowing,"
Working Papers on International Economics and Finance
- Marta Gómez-Puig, 2005. "Monetary Integration And The Cost Of Borrowing," Working Papers 05-05, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Marta Gomez Puig, 2005. "Monetary Integration and the Cost of Borrowing," Working Papers in Economics 134, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Roel Beetsma & Massimo Giuliodori, 2010.
"The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of the EMU and Other Monetary Unions: An Overview of Recent Research,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 48(3), pages 603-41, September.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo, 2009. "The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of the EMU and other Monetary Unions: An Overview of Recent Research," CEPR Discussion Papers 7500, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Duval, Romain & Elmeskov, Jørgen, 2006.
"The effects of EMU on structural reforms in labour and product markets,"
Working Paper Series
0596, European Central Bank.
- Romain Duval & Jørgen Elmeskov, 2005. "The Effects of EMU on Structural Reforms in Labour and Product Markets," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 438, OECD Publishing.
- Cole, Harold L & Kehoe, Patrick J, 1998. "Models of Sovereign Debt: Partial versus General Reputations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 55-70, February.
- G�rard Roland, 2002. "The Political Economy of Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 29-50, Winter.
- Federico Sturzenegger & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2007. "Debt Defaults and Lessons from a Decade of Crises," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262195534, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:cigewp:2013_029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.