The Overpricing Problem: Moral Hazard and Franchises
We hypothesize that moral hazard is an important factor in explaining the under performance of firms, identified by Ritter (1991), following initial public offerings (IPOs). We test this hypothesis by comparing post-IPO returns of franchised and non-franchised firms. Franchised IPOs, whose franchise agreements mitigate the moral hazard problems that arise from the dilution of ownership following an IPO, outperform their non-franchised, matched counterpart IPOs over five years in the aftermarket.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 8-14 HM Tory, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H4|
Phone: (780) 492-3406
Fax: (780) 492-3300
Web page: http://www.ualberta.ca/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Vikram Nanda & Rajdeep Singh, 2006.
"Hot Markets, Investor Sentiment, and IPO Pricing,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 1667-1702, July.
- Ljungqvist, Alexander P. & Nanda, Vikram & Singh, Rajdeep, 2001. "Hot Markets, Investor Sentiment and IPO Pricing," CEPR Discussion Papers 3053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francine Lafontaine, 1992. "Agency Theory and Franchising: Some Empirical Results," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(2), pages 263-283, Summer.
- Lee, Philip J. & Taylor, Stephen L. & Walter, Terry S., 1996. "Australian IPO pricing in the short and long run," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1189-1210, August.
- Eckbo, B. Espen & Norli, Oyvind, 2005. "Liquidity risk, leverage and long-run IPO returns," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 1-35, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:albaec:2012_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joseph Marchand)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.