Spanning with Zero-Price Investment Assets
Regression-based testing techniques has long been used to quantify whether the efficient frontier of a set of assets spans the frontier of a larger collection of investments. This work derives regression-based spanning tests for the case in which the investment possibilities set contains, or is constituted by, zero-investment assets. An empirical example illustrates that ignoring the zero-cost qualification of these assets might lead to wrong spanning propositions.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 8-14 HM Tory, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H4|
Phone: (780) 492-3406
Fax: (780) 492-3300
Web page: http://www.ualberta.ca/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tarun Chordia, 2001. "Market Liquidity and Trading Activity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 501-530, 04.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel, 1987. " Mean-Variance Spanning," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 873-888, September.
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1982. "Potential performance and tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 433-466, December.
- DeRoon, Frans A. & Nijman, Theo E., 2001.
"Testing for mean-variance spanning: a survey,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 111-155, May.
- de Roon, F.A. & Nijman, T.E., 1998. "Testing for mean-variance spanning : A survey," Discussion Paper 1998-132, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Galvani, Valentina & Plourde, André, 2010. "Portfolio diversification in energy markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 257-268, March.
- Galvani, Valentina & Plourde, Andre, 2009. "Portfolio Diversification in Energy Markets," Working Papers 2009-6, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1991. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 225-262, April.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of Security Market Data for Models of Dynamic Economies," NBER Technical Working Papers 0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Ravi Jagannathan, 1990. "Implications of security market data for models of dynamic economies," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 29, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jobson, J D & Korkie, Bob, 1984. " On the Jensen Measure and Marginal Improvements in Portfolio Performance: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 245-251, March.
- Merton, Robert C., 1972. "An Analytic Derivation of the Efficient Portfolio Frontier," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 1851-1872, September.
- Frans A. de Roon & Theo E. Nijman & Chris Veld, 2000. "Hedging Pressure Effects in Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1437-1456, 06.
- de Roon, F.A. & Nijman, T.E. & Veld, C.H., 2000. "Hedging pressure effects in futures markets," Other publications TiSEM 3dfe2c9f-3194-4751-9b34-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1989. "A Performance Interpretation of Multivariate Tests of Asset Set Intersection, Spanning, and Mean-Variance Efficiency," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 185-204, June.
- Nijman, T.E. & de Roon, F.A., 2001. "Testing for mean-variance spanning : A survey," Other publications TiSEM 0159f80a-c61b-4519-b004-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik, 1992. "Systematic Risk, Hedging Pressure, and Risk Premiums in Futures Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(4), pages 637-667. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)