Innovative Approaches to Managing Longevity Risk in Asia: Lessons from the West
This paper discusses what is longevity risk, why it is important, approaches used by the West to manage longevity risk, and what lessons can be learnt by Asian countries from the experiences of the West. Increasing and uncertain longevity has emerged as a key risk affecting individuals, pension plans, insurers, and governments in both the developed and emerging world. I discuss progress in the field of longevity modeling and the merits as well as drawbacks of these models. In western countries, attempts have been made by capital market and governments to deal with longevity risk, but the availability of solutions remain limited.
|Date of creation:||13 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pablo Antolin & Hans J. Blommestein, 2007.
"Governments and the Market for Longevity-indexed Bonds,"
Financial Market Trends,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2007(1), pages 153-175.
- Pablo Antolín & Hans J. Blommestein, 2007. "Governments and the Market for Longevity-Indexed Bonds," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 4, OECD Publishing.
- Pablo Antolin, 2007.
"Longevity Risk and Private Pensions,"
Financial Market Trends,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2007(1), pages 107-128.
- Pablo Antolín, 2007. "Longevity Risk and Private Pensions," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 3, OECD Publishing.
- Pablo Antolin, 2008.
"Ageing and the payout phase of pensions, annuities and financial markets,"
OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2008(2), pages 1-19.
- Pablo Antolín, 2008. "Ageing and the Payout Phase of Pensions, Annuities and Financial Markets," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 29, OECD Publishing.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Jaypee Sevilla, 2001. "Economic Growth and the Demographic Transition," NBER Working Papers 8685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0353. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.