Asset Market Structures and Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy
This paper sets up a canonical new Keynesian small open economy model with nominal price rigidities to explore the impact of habit persistence and exchange rate pass-through on the welfare ranking of alternative monetary policy rules. It identifies three factors that can affect the welfare ranking: the degree of habit persistence, the degree of exchange rate pass-through, and labor supply elasticity. In contrast to the findings of De Paoli (2009a, 2009b), the analysis reveals a reversal in the welfare ranking of alternative monetary policy rules for unitary intertemporal and intratemporal elasticities of substitution, depending on the asset market structures of small open economies with external habit. The paper also finds that exchange rate pegging outperforms domestic producer price index inflation targeting at high degrees of intratemporal elasticity of substitution and external habit, regardless of asset market structures. Finally, the paper finds that exchange rate pegging outperforms domestic or consumer price index inflation targeting if the exchange rate is misaligned.
|Date of creation:||28 Oct 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Garcia-Cicco & Roberto Pancrazi & Martin Uribe, 2010.
"Real Business Cycles in Emerging Countries?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(5), pages 2510-2531, December.
- Javier García-Cicco & Roberto Pancrazi & Martín Uribe, 2006. "Real Business Cycles in Emerging Countries?," NBER Working Papers 12629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohé & Martín Uribe, 2006. "Optimal Simple and Implementable Monetary and Fiscal Rules: Expanded Version," NBER Working Papers 12402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Paoli, Bianca, 2009. "Monetary policy and welfare in a small open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 11-22, February.
- Bianca De Paoli, 2004. "Monetary Policy and Welfare in a Small Open Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0639, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bianca De Paoli, 2004. "Monetary policy and welfare in a small open economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19950, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.