Micro-components of aggregate wage dynamics
Abstract: We propose an approach for measuring and analyzing the dynamics of standard aggregate wage growth of macro statistics with micro-data. Our method decomposes aggregate wage growth to the wage growth of job stayers and to various terms related to job and worker restructuring. This method produces explicit expressions with clear interpretations for the various restructuring components and therefore opens new opportunities for a deeper analysis of various micro-level mechanisms and their cyclicality. The methodology also allows us to study many topics simultaneously that have previously been studied in isolation. Using comprehensive longitudinal employer-employee data over an extended period of time, we study how job and worker restructuring influences aggregate wage growth and its cyclicality. We show that wage formation is significantly more flexible than suggested by the aggregate numbers, and we identify the microlevel mechanisms that explain the greater flexibility. This version: December 7, 2012
|Date of creation:||07 Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 (0)9 609 900
Fax: +358 (0)9 601 753
Web page: http://www.etla.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maliranta, Mika & Böckerman, Petri, 2009.
"Globalization, Creative Destruction, and Labor Share Change: Evidence on the Determinants and Mechanism from Longitudinal Plant-level Data,"
1178, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Petri Böckerman & Mika Maliranta, 2012. "Globalization, creative destruction, and labour share change: evidence on the determinants and mechanisms from longitudinal plant-level data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 259-280, April.
- Petri Böckerman & Mika Maliranta, 2003.
"The micro-level dynamics of regional productivity growth: The source of divergence in Finland,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p32, European Regional Science Association.
- Bockerman, Petri & Maliranta, Mika, 2007. "The micro-level dynamics of regional productivity growth: The source of divergence in Finland," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 165-182, March.
- Böckerman, Petri & Maliranta, Mika, 2003. "The Micro-level Dynamics of Regional Productivity Growth: The Source of Divergence in Finland," Discussion Papers 854, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Böckerman, Petri & Laaksonen, Seppo & Vainiomäki, Jari, 2006. "Micro-level evidence on wage rigidities in Finland," MPRA Paper 1811, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rif:wpaper:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.