How to Restore Sustainability of the Euro?
We reassess the result of unsustainability of the euro with respect to inflation differentials claimed by Wickens (2007) by specifying an open-economy version of a two-region New Keynesian model for EMU and demonstrate that the result by Wickens does not hold in general. We are able to derive a result that the model is determinate for a wide range of policy rules so that the sustainability of the euro area and the member countries is reached over time with respect to supply and demand shocks and emerged imbalances in price levels and competitiveness. We then enlarge the numerical analysis to consider EMU and sustainability in the case, prevailing currently, where a high debt country should both restore its competitiveness and its fiscal balance, and the policies re-quired from the single monetary policy and the national fiscal policies. Strong fiscal consolidation and far-reaching successful structural reforms are needed to reach sustainability in the sense that emerged imbalances in competitiveness and price levels and the threat of ever mounting debt levels could be eliminated over the medium run. We also illustrate how the current deflationary adjustment involves a major polarisation in economic developments within the euro area.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lönnrotinkatu 4 B, FIN-00120 HELSINKI|
Phone: +358 (0)9 609 900
Fax: +358 (0)9 601 753
Web page: http://www.etla.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas Schabert & Sweder J.G. van Wijnbergen, 2011.
"Sovereign Default and the Stability of Inflation Targeting Regimes,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-064/2/ DSF20, Tinbergen Institute.
- Andreas Schabert & Sweder J G van Wijnbergen, 2014. "Sovereign Default and the Stability of Inflation-Targeting Regimes," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Monetary Fund, vol. 62(2), pages 261-287, June.
- Campbell Leith & Simon Wren‐Lewis, 2013.
"Fiscal Sustainability in a New Keynesian Model,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(8), pages 1477-1516, December.
- Campbell Leith & Simon Wren-lewis, 2006. "Fiscal Sustainability in a New Keynesian Model," WEF Working Papers 0006, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Simon Wren-Lewis & Campbell Leith, 2007. "Fiscal Sustainability in a New Keynesian Model," Economics Series Working Papers 310, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Leith, Campbell & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 2012. "Fiscal Sustainability in a New Keynesian Model," SIRE Discussion Papers 2012-84, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Campbell Leith & Simon Wren-Lewis, 2006. "Fiscal Sustainability in a New Keynesian Model," Working Papers 2006_11, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Nov 2008.
- Minford, Patrick & Srinivasan, Naveen, 2009.
"Determinacy in New Keynesian models: a role for money after all?,"
Cardiff Economics Working Papers
E2009/21, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Apr 2011.
- Patrick Minford & Naveen Srinivasan, 2011. "Determinacy in New Keynesian Models: A Role for Money after All?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 211-229, 06.
- Minford, Patrick & Srinivasan, Naveen, 2010. "Determinacy in New Keynesian Models: a role for money after all?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mike Wickens, 2010. "Is the Euro the Success that Everyone Seems to Think?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 183-185, February.
- Thomas Laubach, 2009.
"New Evidence on the Interest Rate Effects of Budget Deficits and Debt,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 7(4), pages 858-885, 06.
- Thomas Laubach, 2003. "New evidence on the interest rate effects of budget deficits and debt," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-12, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Orjasniemi, Seppo, 2010. "The effect of openness in a small open monetary union," Research Discussion Papers 18/2010, Bank of Finland.
- Ferrero, Andrea, 2009.
"Fiscal and monetary rules for a currency union,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 1-10, February.
- Sophocles Mavroeidis, 2010. "Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability: Some New Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 491-503, March.
- Galí, Jordi & Monacelli, Tommaso, 2005.
"Optimal Monetary and Fiscal Policy in a Currency Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5374, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gali, Jordi & Monacelli, Tommaso, 2008. "Optimal monetary and fiscal policy in a currency union," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 116-132, September.
- Jordi Gali & Tommaso Monacelli, 2005. "Optimal Monetary and Fiscal Policy in a Currency Union," NBER Working Papers 11815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tommaso Monacelli & Jordi Galí, 2005. "Optimal Monetary and Fiscal Policy in a Currency Union," Working Papers 300, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Jordi Galí & Tommaso Monacelli, 2005. "Optimal monetary and fiscal policy in a currency union," Economics Working Papers 909, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Feb 2008.
- Jordi Galí & Tommaso Monacelli, 2005. "Optimal Monetary and Fiscal Policy in a Currency Union," Working Papers 240, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Mike Wickens, 2007.
"Is the Euro Sustainable?,"
07/18, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Tatiana Kirsanova & Campbell Leith & Simon Wren-Lewis, 2009. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Interaction: The Current Consensus Assignment in the Light of Recent Developments," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(541), pages F482-F496, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rif:dpaper:1259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.