Labor and Finance: Mortensen and Pissarides meet Holmstrom and Tirole
In real life labor markets firms hold at all times a variety of liquid assets not invested in their core business. Such external use of funds acts as an insurance against future adverse financial shocks, and typically varies across firms and sectors. As a result, different firms use different degrees of financial leverage. This paper investigates the consequence of firms' use of funds on their hiring and firing policy. Using a standard matching model of unemployment, the paper finds an equilibrium interplay between the value of unemployment and financial conditions. Financial market imperfections- such as the probability of refinancing or firms' share of their pleadgeable income- affect equilibrium unemployment. In this sense, the paper brings together the work on liquidity by Holmstrom anf Tirole (2011) with the traditional Mortensen Pissarides (2004) model of equilibrium unemployment. The model implies also that at times of adverse financial shocks, firms that are more leveraged are more likely to liquiditate their assets and destroy jobs. Empirically, we test whether there is a causal link between firms leverage and job destruction at times of adverse financial shocks. We draw on firm-level data on employment adjustment matched with balance sheet records throughout the Great Recession and find that highly leveraged firms destroy more jobs during a financial crisis.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silvio Rendon, 2002.
"Job search and asset accumulation under borrowing constraints,"
Economics Working Papers
649, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Rendon Sílvio, 2006. "Job Search And Asset Accumulation Under Borrowing Constraints ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(1), pages 233-263, 02.
- Silvio Rendón, 2002. "Job Search And Asset Accumulation Under Borrowing Constraints," Economics Working Papers we025219, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Private and Public Supply of Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
5817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2005.
"European Unemployment: The Evolution of Facts and Ideas,"
NBER Working Papers
11750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2006. "European unemployment: the evolution of facts and ideas," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 5-59, 01.
- Holmström, Bengt, 2013.
"Inside and Outside Liquidity,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262518536, June.
- Donatella Gatti & Christophe Rault & Anne-Gael Vaubourg, 2010.
"Unemployment and finance: how do financial and labour market factors interact?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp973, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Donatella Gatti & Christophe Rault & Anne-Gael Vaubourg, 2012. "Unemployment and finance: how do financial and labour market factors interact?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(3), pages 464-489, July.
- Donatella GATTI & Christophe RAULT & Anne-Gaël VAUBOURG, 2009. "Unemployment and finance : how do financial and labour market factors interact ?," LEO Working Papers / DR LEO 101, Orleans Economics Laboratory / Laboratoire d'Economie d'Orleans (LEO), University of Orleans.
- Donatella Gatti & Anne-Gaël Vaubourg, 2009. "Unemployment and finance: how do financial and labour market factors interact?," CEPN Working Papers halshs-00566792, HAL.
- Gatti, Donatella & Vaubourg, Anne-Gaël, 2009. "Unemployment and Finance: How Do Financial and Labour Market Factors Interact?," IZA Discussion Papers 4075, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Donatella Gatti & Christophe Rault & Anne-Gael Vaubourg, 2009. "Unemployment and Finance: How do Financial and Labour Market Factors Interact?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2901, CESifo Group Munich.
- Donatella Gatti & Christophe Rault & Anne-Gaël Vaubourg, 2012. "Unemployment and finance: how do financial and labour market factors interact?," Post-Print halshs-00846633, HAL.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Diamond, Peter, 1992.
"The Flow Approach to Labor Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 354-59, May.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and The Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-691.
- repec:oup:restud:v:61:y:1994:i:3:p:397-415 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed013:775. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.