Prices and volumes of options: A simple theory of risk sharing when markets are incomplete
We present a theory of business cycle movements for derivative asset prices and volumes. This theory relies on time-varying heterogeneity among agents in their demand for insurance against aggregate risk. We are able to analytically characterize a general equilibrium in which positive quantities of derivatives are traded. This allows us to explain the informational content of derivative volumes over the business cycle. We reproduce stylized facts about derivative volumes, and perform welfare analysis with respect to the introduction of derivative assets, which notably appears to be not Pareto improving.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franke, Gunter & Stapleton, Richard C. & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 1998. "Who Buys and Who Sells Options: The Role of Options in an Economy with Background Risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 89-109, September.
- Andrea Buraschi & Alexei Jiltsov, 2006. "Model Uncertainty and Option Markets with Heterogeneous Beliefs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2841-2897, December.
- Monique, W.M. Donders & Roy Kouwenberg & Ton, C. F. Vorst, 2000. "Options and earnings announcements: an empirical study of volatility, trading volume, open interest and liquidity," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(2), pages 149-171.
- Krusell, Per & Mukoyama, Toshihiko & Smith Jr., Anthony A., 2011.
"Asset prices in a Huggett economy,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 812-844, May.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00587679 is not listed on IDEAS
- Challe, Edouard & Le Grand, François & Ragot, Xavier, 2013.
"Incomplete markets, liquidation risk, and the term structure of interest rates,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 148(6), pages 2483-2519.
- Challe, E. & Le Grand, F. & Ragot, X., 2010. "Incomplete markets, liquidation risk, and the term structure of interest rates," Working papers 301, Banque de France.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed010:300. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.