Prices and volumes of options: A simple theory of risk sharing when markets are incomplete
We present a simple theory of business-cycle movements of option prices and volumes. This theory relies on time-varying heterogeneity between agents in their demand for insurance against aggregate risk. Formally, we build an infinite-horizon model where agents face an aggregate risk, but also different levels of idiosyncratic risk. We manage to characterize analytically a general equilibrium in which positive quantities of derivatives are traded. This allows us to explain the informational content of derivative volumes over the business cycle. We also carry out welfare analysis with respect to the introduction of options, which appears not to be Pareto-improving.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00587679 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edouard Challe & François Le Grand & Xavier Ragot, 2007.
"Incomplete markets, liquidation risk and the term structure of interest rates,"
PSE Working Papers
- Challe, Edouard & Le Grand, François & Ragot, Xavier, 2013. "Incomplete markets, liquidation risk, and the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(6), pages 2483-2519.
- Challe, E. & Le Grand, F. & Ragot, X., 2010. "Incomplete markets, liquidation risk, and the term structure of interest rates," Working papers 301, Banque de France.
- Edouard Challe & François Le Grand & Xavier Ragot, 2013. "Incomplete markets, liquidation risk, and the term structure of interest rates," PSE Working Papers hal-00843147, HAL.
- Monique, W.M. Donders & Roy Kouwenberg & Ton, C. F. Vorst, 2000. "Options and earnings announcements: an empirical study of volatility, trading volume, open interest and liquidity," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(2), pages 149-171.
- Toshihiko Mukoyama & Anthony A. Smith & Per Krusell, 2008.
"Asset Prices in a Huggett Economy,"
2008 Meeting Papers
181, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Franke, Gunter & Stapleton, Richard C. & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 1998. "Who Buys and Who Sells Options: The Role of Options in an Economy with Background Risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 89-109, September.
- Andrea Buraschi & Alexei Jiltsov, 2006. "Model Uncertainty and Option Markets with Heterogeneous Beliefs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2841-2897, December.
- Edouard Challe & François Le Grand & Xavier Ragot, 2013. "Incomplete markets, liquidation risk, and the term structure of interest rates," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00944920, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.