Trends in the Funding and Lending Behaviour of Australian Banks
This paper describes the Australian banking system, highlighting ways in which it differs from other major banking systems. It draws together themes from previous work conducted at the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA), and outlines the role the banking system plays in the transmission of monetary policy and the transformation of risk. The paper also discusses some more recent trends, including the increased focus on deposit funding and potential changes in the determination of lending rates due to changes in the pricing of risk. These trends are, in turn, being influenced by changes in the preferences towards, and understanding of, different types of risk by investors, banks' management and regulators.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 3947, Sydney NSW 2001|
Web page: http://www.rba.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Isabelle Ynesta, 2009. "Households' wealth composition across OECD countries and financial risks borne by households," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2008(2), pages 1-25.
- Goggin, Jean & Holton, Sarah & Kelly, Jane & Lydon, Reamonn & McQuinn, Kieran, 2012. "Variable Mortgage Rate Pricing in Ireland," Economic Letters 02/EL/12, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Daniel Fabbro & Mark Hack, 2011. "The Effects of Funding Costs and Risk on Banks' Lending Rates," RBA Bulletin, Reserve Bank of Australia, pages 35-42, March.
- Calomiris, Charles W & Kahn, Charles M, 1991. "The Role of Demandable Debt in Structuring Optimal Banking Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 497-513, June.
- Luci Ellis, 2006. "Housing and Housing Finance: The View from Australia and Beyond," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2006-12, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Luci Ellis & Dan Andrews, 2001. "City Sizes, Housing Costs, and Wealth," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2001-08, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Hatice Uzun, 2007. "Securitization and risk: empirical evidence on US banks," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 11-23, January.
- Guy Debelle, 2004. "Household debt and the macroeconomy," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Jason Allen & Robert Clark & Jean-François Houde, 2011. "Discounting in Mortgage Markets," Staff Working Papers 11-3, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rba:rbardp:rdp2013-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paula Drew)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.