Resilience and electricity systems: a comparative analysis
Electricity systems have generally evolved based on the natural resources available locally. Few metrics exist to compare the security of electricity supply of different countries despite the increasing likelihood of potential shocks to the power system like energy price increases and carbon price regulation. This paper seeks to calculate a robust measure of national power system resilience by analysing each step in the process of transformation from raw energy to consumed electricity. Countries with sizeable deposits of mineral resources are used for comparison because of the need for electricity-intensive metals processing. We find that shifts in electricity-intensive industry can be predicted based on countries’ power system resilience.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +61 7 3365 6570|
Phone: +61 7 3365 6570
Fax: +61 7 3365 7299
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/eemg
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uwe Remme & Nathalie Trudeau & Dagmar Graczyk & Peter Taylor, 2011. "Technology Development Prospects for the Indian Power Sector," IEA Energy Papers 2011/4, OECD Publishing.
- Grubb, Michael & Butler, Lucy & Twomey, Paul, 2006.
"Diversity and security in UK electricity generation: The influence of low-carbon objectives,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 4050-4062, December.
- Grubb, M. & Butler, L. & Sinden, G., 2005. "Diversity and Security in UK Electricity Generation: The Influence of Low Carbon Objectives," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0511, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Mukherjee, Ishani & Drupady, Ira Martina & D’Agostino, Anthony L., 2011. "Evaluating energy security performance from 1990 to 2010 for eighteen countries," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 5846-5853.
- Kruyt, Bert & van Vuuren, D.P. & de Vries, H.J.M. & Groenenberg, H., 2009. "Indicators for energy security," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2166-2181, June.
- Rodilla, P. & Batlle, C., 2012. "Security of electricity supply at the generation level: Problem analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 177-185.
- Stirling, Andy, 2010. "Multicriteria diversity analysis: A novel heuristic framework for appraising energy portfolios," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1622-1634, April.
- Jansen, Jaap C. & Seebregts, Ad J., 2010. "Long-term energy services security: What is it and how can it be measured and valued?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 1654-1664, April.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 2009. "Fossil-fuel dependence and vulnerability of electricity generation: Case of selected European countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2411-2420, June.
- Stirling, Andrew, 1994. "Diversity and ignorance in electricity supply investment : Addressing the solution rather than the problem," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 195-216, March.
- Yosuke Okada, 2005. "Competition and Productivity in Japanese Manufacturing Industries," NBER Working Papers 11540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ahmad Faruqui, Hung-po Chao, Vic Niemeyer, Jeremy Platt and Karl Stahlkopf, 2001. "Analyzing California's Power Crisis," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 29-52.
- Gérard Bélanger & Jean-Thomas Bernard, 1991. "Aluminium ou exportation: de l'usage de l'électricité québécoise (With English summary.)," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 17(2), pages 197-204, June.
- Vivoda, Vlado, 2010. "Evaluating energy security in the Asia-Pacific region: A novel methodological approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 5258-5263, September.
- Okada, Yosuke, 2005. "Competition and productivity in Japanese manufacturing industries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 586-616, December.
- Enrico Tanuwidjaja & Shandre Thangavelu, 2007. "Structural Change and Productivity Growth in the Japanese Manufacturing Industry," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 385-405.
- O'Brien, Geoff & Hope, Alex, 2010. "Localism and energy: Negotiating approaches to embedding resilience in energy systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7550-7558, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qld:uqeemg:15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SOE IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.