China’s business cycles since 1979: a chronology and comparative analysis
The path to emerging as the world’s second largest economy (in PPP terms) has not been a smooth one. This paper seeks to provide a detailed chronology of China’s business cycles since 1979. It also considers whether their volatility has changed over time, and how their volatility compares with those in the world’s largest and third largest economies, the U.S and Japan. In the process, several puzzles relating to China’s business cycles are observed that warrant further research attention.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: St. Lucia, Qld. 4072|
Phone: +61 7 3365 6570
Fax: +61 7 3365 7299
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Girardin, 2004.
"Regime-dependent synchronization of growth cycles between Japan and East Asia,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004
66, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Eric Girardin, 2004. "Regime-Dependent Synchronization of Growth Cycles between Japan and East Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 3(3), pages 147-176.
- Gulasekaran Rajaguru & Tilak Abeysinghe, 2004.
"Quarterly real GDP estimates for China and ASEAN4 with a forecast evaluation,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 431-447.
- Tilak Abeysinghe & Gulasekaran Rajaguru, 2003. "Quarterly Real GDP Estimates for China and ASEAN4 with a Forecast Evaluation," Departmental Working Papers wp0404, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Loren Brandt & Xiaodong Zhu, 2000. "Redistribution in a Decentralized Economy: Growth and Inflation in China under Reform," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 422-451, April.
- Gang Gong & Justin Yifu Lin, 2005.
"Deflationary Expansion : an Overshooting Perspective to the Recent Business Cycle in China,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
21959, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Gong, Gang & Lin, Justin Yifu, 2008. "Deflationary expansion: An overshooting perspective to the recent business cycle in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Rawski, Thomas G., 2001. "What is happening to China's GDP statistics?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 347-354.
- Findley, David F, et al, 1998. "New Capabilities and Methods of the X-12-ARIMA Seasonal-Adjustment Program," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 127-152, April.
- Gunter, Frank R., 2004. "Capital flight from China: 1984-2001," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 63-85, January.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Khor, Hoe Ee, 1992.
"China--macroeconomic cycles in the 1980S,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 173-194.
- Harm Zebregs & Wanda S Tseng, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in China; Some Lessons for Other Countries," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 02/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002.
"Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000. "Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1164, Econometric Society.
- Zhang, Yin & Wan, Guanghua, 2004.
"China's Business Cycles: Perspectives from an AD-AS Model,"
WIDER Working Paper Series
054, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Yin Zhang & Guanghua Wan, 2005. "China's Business Cycles: Perspectives from an AD-AS Model ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 445-469, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qld:uqeaer:17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SOE IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.