A more general Heckscher-Ohlin model
This paper formalises the enduring insights of Heckscher and Ohlin in a way that avoids the two least satisfactory features of the standard Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson model, namely that in an open economy factor prices are unaffected by endowments or demand and that outcomes vary drastically with the assumed numbers of goods and factors. Its main innovation is to recognise that (and describe simply how) trade costs diminish the economic impact of differences between places in relative production costs, a point relevant also to other models of trade. The Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson model is a special case of the more general model.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (1865) 281800
Fax: +44 (1865) 281801
Web page: http://www.qeh.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002.
"Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture,"
NBER Working Papers
9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- Harrison, Glenn W & Rutherford, Thomas F & Tarr, David G, 1997. "Quantifying the Uruguay Round," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1405-30, September.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 2001.
"An Account of Global Factor Trade,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1423-1453, December.
- Davis, D.R. & Weinstein, D.E., 1999. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Working Papers 435, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," NBER Working Papers 6785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald R. Davis & David E. Weinstein, 1998. "An Account of Global Factor Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1849, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Irarrazabal, Alfonso & Moxnes, Andreas & Opromolla, Luca David, 2010. "The Tip of the Iceberg: Modeling Trade Costs and Implications for Intra-Industry Reallocation," CEPR Discussion Papers 7685, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 2007. "Interacting factor endowments and trade costs: A multi-country, multi-good approach to trade theory," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 333-354, November.
- Deardorff, A.V. & Courant, P.N., 1989.
"On The Likelihood Of Factor Price Equalization With Nontraded Goods,"
241, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V & Courant, Paul N, 1990. "On the Likelihood of Factor Price Equalization with Nontraded Goods," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(3), pages 589-96, August.
- Arnaud Costinot & Andres Rodriguez-Clare & Costas Arkolakis, 2010.
"New Trade Models, Same Old Gains?,"
2010 Meeting Papers
433, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Baldwin, Richard & Harrigan, James, 2007.
"Zeros, Quality and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin & James Harrigan, 2011. "Zeros, Quality, and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 60-88, May.
- Richard Baldwin & James Harrigan, 2007. "Zeros, Quality and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence," NBER Working Papers 13214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Romalis, 2004. "Factor Proportions and the Structure of Commodity Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 67-97, March.
- James E. Rauch & Vitor Trindade, 2003. "Information, International Substitutability, and Globalization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 775-791, June.
- Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2007. "Trade, Production, and Protection Database, 1976--2004," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 165-171.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qeh:qehwps:qehwps185. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rachel Crawford)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.