Economic Crises: The Impact on Australia and Canada
The Financial Crisis accelerated a latent Fiscal Crisis that had been brewing in many Western countries. The paper outlines the causes of the Financial Crisis, and how this increased expenditure and reduced revenues for many Western governments. But these additional fiscal stresses merely advanced the day of reckoning when fiscal problems had to be faced Demographics (the Baby Boom effect) dictated that reforms would be required in taxation, health care and pensions to smooth the transition. Many governments had not prepared adequately, so that the added burden of the Financial Crisis provided a double impost on budgets. The paper compares Canada and Australia in this framework, showing that there are similarities and differences that are instructive. Both countries avoided the initial Crisis, but they may not be so fortunate in the near future.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J. & Burns, Scott, 2012. "The Clash of Generations: Saving Ourselves, Our Kids, and Our Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262526107.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates
[This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Frank Milne, 2008. "Anatomy of the Credit Crisis: The role of Faulty Risk Management Systems," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 269, July.
- Kenichi Ueda & Beatrice Weder di Mauro, 2012.
"Quantifying Structural Subsidy Values for Systemically Important Financial Institutions,"
IMF Working Papers
12/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Ueda, Kenichi & Weder di Mauro, B., 2013. "Quantifying structural subsidy values for systemically important financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3830-3842.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J. & Burns, Scott, 2012. "The Clash of Generations: Saving Ourselves, Our Kids, and Our Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262016729.
- Frank Milne, 2009. "The Complexities of Financial Risk Management and Systemic Risks," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2009(Summer), pages 15-30.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:wpaper:1296. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.